Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Taliesin 1 chair by Cassina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Taliesin 1 chair by Cassina Reply with quote

https://www.cassina.com/en/collection/armchairs/607-taliesin-1
SDR

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another take on the design. Will this be the final version approved by the Foundation ?

Interesting to see the date of origin here. I'm not sure we'd ever addressed that issue, or settled on a year at any rate. So it's 1949 ?

On page 89 of the third Taschen volume is found a drawing of the chair, and a bit of text quoting Wright on sitting and on the design of this chair. The
drawing bears Taliesin number 4612.044, suggesting that the Origami dates to at least 1946 ?

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess which one is Cassina's Darth Vader version.
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Year of design Reply with quote

The Cassina furniture has gone through the FLLW Foundation, so they must have settled on the year of the design. The drawing number, 4612.044 does mean that Pfeiffer originally placed the date on the drawing as 1946, but I've found he wasn't always correct.

I like the Darth Vader version of the chair.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, SpringGreen (and congrats on 500 posts !)

Photographic evidence might show when the Origami appeared at T West. The colors of the new line are of course not Wrightian; I see no reason why today's
furniture buyer should be limited to that (not well-defined, but familiar) palette -- I guess.

Woodworkers would not be the only ones to appreciate Wright's preference for clear (if any) finishes on his buildings, casework and furniture -- but they'd be
at the front of the line. I am presently tasked with matching a stained finish, on an unknown specie, from a distance of 3000 miles. I suspect it's not going
to happen, but I'm trying anyway.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4612. might have been BPP's code for furniture and lighting pieces; a dozen different designs for multiple clients, shown on pp 86-91 of Taschen III, are all numbered thus . . .

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: