Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

#Him, too?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: #Him, too? Reply with quote

I’m relieved that I’m not a huge fan...

https://nypost.com/2018/03/13/top-architect-richard-meier-steps-down-after-*-harassment-claims/
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again. What a shame. The boilerplate statement, “I am deeply troubled and embarrassed by the accounts of several women who were offended by my words
and actions. While our recollections may differ, I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by my behavior,” is trotted out on advice of counsel . . .

S
John

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Richard Meier Reply with quote

I believe we are scheduled to visit his portion of the Des Moines Art Center in May. Perhaps by then he will have reformed.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without for a moment excusing bad behavior, I believe it is useful to be able to separate the man from the work. Let something, at least, survive and surmount the bad . . . ?

Here's an iconic early Meier house which remains with the original client's family.

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/02/26/richard-meier-1960s-smith-house-captured-new-photographs-mike-schwartz-50th-anniversary/?li_source=LI&li_medium=bottom_block_1

S
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Richard Meier Reply with quote

John wrote:
I believe we are scheduled to visit his portion of the Des Moines Art Center in May. Perhaps by then he will have reformed.

It is the least inspiring portion of the museum. The Eliel Saarinen and I. M. Pei wings are far superior. And oddly, though it is the most recent section, it shows the most wear and tear.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article calls the glass building by Grand Army Plaza "controversial." How so? Looks fine to me.

This hash-tag culture is becoming tiresome. All of these cases should be adjudicated before they are made public, provided there is a broken law that has not exceeded the statute of limitations. The vulgar behavior should be settled on the spot, not decades later.

Rape is a good argument in favor of capital punishment, but shy of physical assault, crudeness should not be enough to ruin a person's reputation. FLW would not have fared well in today's hyperventilated climate.

The first building I saw by Meier was the Douglas House (see bottom of SCR's attachment) looming high above the surrounding forest. The photo of that white box amid the verdant pines was stunning. Although, as I understand it, the solar heat gain of the west-facing glass façade made the house almost impossible to live in.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women who have been victimized have learned the hard way that their reports are typically dismissed; further, such women have been accused of "asking for
it" or being otherwise complicit in their own abuse. For every case of false accusation there are hundreds if not thousands of unreported crimes.

The fact that even today "equal pay for equal work" is very far from the reality -- large tech firms have lately been exposed as examples -- is one illustration
of the relative powerlessness of women to control their own lives. Statutes of limitations are a joke when they apply only to certain kinds of crime . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...hundreds if not thousands of unreported crimes." Perhaps a bit of an overstatement? As Peter might say, "Where do you get your facts?"

In 1965, my sister was 'felt up' by the man who hired her at a major corporation. She turned around and slapped the hell out of him if front of the entire office. He reported her to his superior, who informed her that if a complaint was filed, she would lose her job. She later asked the assaulter if he was married. He said that he was. She responded, "Interesting..." He got the message. That's how women should deal with situations at that level, when a report to the constabulary won't result in action ... even today.

Equal pay is a mystery. In every company I have worked at, HR has been run by a woman, never a man. It would seem obvious that this problem is not addressed with greater urgency. It is utterly indefensible.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I exaggerated. Facts seem to support a rate of approximately one out of three assaults being reported. That's the bottom line in these two supposedly conflicting stories:

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/criminal-justice-system

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2014/12/09/the-truth-about-a-viral-graphic-on-rape-statistics/?utm_term=.6aec2230e02e

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The incident in the 1980’s reported by the woman in California comes close to or crosses the line of assault, if not attempted rape:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/arts/design/richard-meier-*-harassment-allegations.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Eerily similar to the allegations made about Charlie Rose. Speaking of Rose and Meier:

https://charlierose.com/guests/320
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick- The title I chose for this thread is not an existing hashtag, rather my response to the broader movement.

I’m afraid your two posts are what women today would call “mansplaining”.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_Explain_Things_to_Me

You seem to be indirectly placing the responsibility of lower women’s wages on women who control HR, not their typically male bosses who have the ultimate say.

Your sister’s actions were admirable, yet you give no indication how many other women in that situation have been terminated on the spot, or how that action might affect their future careers.

Last edited by peterm on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I was about to launch into a response to your insulting post, but then I figured, "It's just Peter being Peter, politicizing everything." It might be called "anti-mansplaining."
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the first example of your misogynistic (at least by 2018 standards...) tendencies.

If one dares to disagree with you, that’s politicizing?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, your condescension is tiresome.

I may be misanthropic, but not misogynistic. I dislike everyone equally.
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you’re proud of that?

Women presently earn 77 cents on the dollar, and you blame women in HR?
You seem to be implying that if only men were in charge of HR, this problem would disappear. If this were said in a conference on equality, there would be audible gasps in the room.

You also seemed to say that “crude” behavior is just that, and that there are no underlying power dynamics involved. “Boys will be boys”. You only draw the line at rape, calling for the barbaric practice of capital punishment. I just happen to disagree with everything you said. And if you put it out there without considering how offensive it is to feminists, you should not feel insulted when someone sees things differently.

Or do you feel insulated because you are certain that your ideas are accepted as “mainstream”?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: