Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

James (Jimmie) Thompson & James Thomson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon buschke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: James (Jimmie) Thompson & James Thomson Reply with quote

Hello, I am looking for any information on two former apprentices from the late 1930. James (Jimmie) Thompson who provided a color film in 1939 for the London Wright lectures series given on 4-evenings and James Thomson friend of the Dombar brothers. Both were at Taliesin about the same time. Thomson worked on the Jacobs ll house with Dombar. Thompson was there for only one year. Wright mentions him several times in "An Organic Architecture" 1939. Both are about the same age born 1912-2914. I am trying to locate their dates and where they came from to complete a list of birth and death dates for each apprentice.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Thomson was at Taliesin from 1934 to 1939. No other information is available in the Directory. There is no James Thompson in the Directory. It is not unusual for the name Thom(p)son to be spelled both ways; I suspect the two are one with variant spellings.
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Geiger's apprentice list has:

- James Thompson arriving at Taliesin on October 1st, 1937

- James Thomson arriving at Taliesin on October 1st, 1937

David
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, here's a picture from 1937 of Wright w/ various apprentices, including James Thomson.

He's also mentioned in the book "Building With Frank Lloyd Wright", by Herbert Jacobs.

David
Rood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I never knew Thompson, personally, I projected one of his early colour films of Taliesin West many times.

John deKoven Hill told me that after leaving Taliesin, Thompson worked for a time as an importer ... Johnny later heard that one day Thompson went for a walk in the jungle (don't recall exactly, but it was in either Thailand or Malaya), and that he never returned.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fault that I find with the Wright Library is that the size of images is limited: clicking on an image magically reduces it (by linking to a catalog page) rather than enlarging it ! The point of Steiner's pages seems to be "here's what's in my collection" -- and quite a collection it is . . .

SDR
Randolph C. Henning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Donald Thompson and wife Mary (both from Cleveland) who were in the Fellowship from November 1934 until sometime in the summer of 1935. Donald wrote at least three known At Taliesin columns and Mary wrote one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: