Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Taliesin West Master Plan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no difficulty in drawing a single free-hand diagonal line; the problem is to repeat that -- at whatever length required, up to the fill width of the paper -- any number of times. I'd be tempted to tilt the paper.

The parallel-line textures drawn by Lloyd, Howe et al are virtually always vertical or horizontal. I wonder if there were/are any drafting machines at Taliesin. With 30º and 60º click stops, drawing one of those Usonian grids would be a piece of cake.

The blades of a drafting machine are about as long as any triangle -- but not nearly as long as a big T-square or a parallel edge.

I used a drafting machine in only one office, for a couple of years late in the game. I got used to it. I seldom got to employ the click-stops, available at 15º increments as I recall it ? There might also have been a mechanism allowing one to return to any pre-set angle . . .

McCoy worked in the aircraft industry before joining Schindler; thus, her machine. When a second drafter joined the office with one, that led to the anecdote previously recounted.

SDR
owenCollins

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness this is an amazing resource. Did you see the drawings of the pavilion, one mentions a concrete roof.
owenCollins

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScreenShot by Owen Collins, on Flickr
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cabaret Theatre has a desert stone roof, but I don't believe the Pavilion was ever intended to have one.
owenCollins

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roof in the image is very different than the final one. The only original concrete roofs were the Kiva and the Cabaret, you are right. Probably not a coincidence that both places were intended to show films.

Perhaps initial ideas for the 'Movement Pavilion' (as it was noted on the drawing) was to also have a concrete roof?
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two Movements Pavilion drawings; neither one has a concrete roof.

Harry Shearer's "Le Show" on radio, broadcast here Sundays at noon, includes a segment almost every week on some silliness or scandal having to do with the IOC. "The Olympics: it's a movement -- and we should all have one -- every day !" he intones . . .

SDR
owenCollins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the image posted above is titled Pavilion Concrete Roof. But of course that could be mislabeled.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah -- I missed that. It's hard to tell; I suppose that could be a construction of concrete, perhaps separate cast panels or arches ?

But the other drawings labeled Movements Pavilion are of wood or steel construction, I believe. The built pavilion is more like a Butler steel-arch building that anything else, to me.

SDR
owenCollins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately it had Wooden trusses for the first version and then Steel in the 1964 rebuild.

The back wall Changed over the years. It would be interesting to know if any of those draftings in the Appendices have dates. There is a lot of changes over time, regardless of the 1964 rebuild.

Here is a screenshot from Partner to Genius a documentary on Olgivanna

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 9.40.33 PM by Owen Collins, on Flickr

It shows the back wall before the desert masonry was added to the Stage Left side.
owenCollins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View of the stage today (or at least July 2017 before replacement of roof panels)

View of Pavilion stage from back of house 2017 by Owen Collins, on Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: