Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Spaulding Print Room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well -- there are just going to be some unanswered questions, and some inconsistencies I guess. Less is more -- but nothing is . . . nothing.

Can't wait to see it lit !

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the height of the radiator cases is not that important from the standpoint of design. While the tall case is a prominent design element in the ante room, as you have surmised (since there is no indication of its height in the original drawings), a lower case would easily contain a standard radiator. It seems illogical that an extravagantly tall case for a utilitarian object would be introduced by FLW. Then there is the inconsistency between the depth of the radiator lids as shown in the two floor plans, adding another monkey wrench. It could be that the upper floor plan shows an extended sill rather than a lid?

If the landing were as I proposed, the baseboard would continue around the north end of the landing, above the radiator, then return thrice to end at the newel, which as we can agree should be at the height of the rail over the main room. Notice that the trim also does not engage the radiator on the north wall of the ante room, making the banding around that room a question as well.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another unknown is the exterior of the structure that was to contain this room. If the north wall was to be uninterrupted by original structure between the two sets of windows, one might reasonably expect the two windows to be the same size? Yet a big blank wall between them suggests there may have been structure there. Obviously there is something going on along the west wall, given the entrance in the SW corner, the window in the west wall of the toilet room and the 3 windows elevated at the center of the wall. The extent of the east wall and most of the south wall seem to imply structure beyond.

On the other hand, if the building to house this room was of such innocuous design that FLW felt no need to accommodate it in any way, he may have ignored the look of the thing.
Meisolus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick - I agree with you that the tall radiator cover is extravagant. It's always bothered me that it's essentially a major design feature, but I really have no idea how to make it otherwise. If it's shorter, what goes there? Where does the window stop?

I'm afraid I'm not entirely following what you're suggesting for the landing. If you'd like to PM me and discuss it further, or send some sketches, that would be fine.

The sad truth of the matter is that this model will never be 100% perfect. But we can get a good approximation, and at least give an idea of what the master was going for.

Are we sure that these are all the drawings for the space that exist?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be sure perfection cannot be attained. I expect that if it had been built, it would have varied considerably from these drawings. But all we can do is speculate with the evidence available, consider every option, and settle for what seems most appropriate.

"If it's [radiator case] shorter, what goes there? Where does the window stop?"
Well, you have a point. By my calculation, the window over the landing should be equal to the window at the opposite end of the balcony, which means the baseboard would not go underneath it, since the opposite window is actually a double door leading to a hallway. So in order to get that to happen, the baseboard would have to stop at the window, and the large ledge would determine the base of the window, with the baseboard taking up on the other side of the window, wrapping around the stairwell to the newel. The underside of the ledge would form the top of the radiator case. In the west ante room, for the window to be the same as the one at the landing, which, if the exterior is to be considered at all, should be the case, there should be a span of plaster wall between the ledge and the radiator case, which would be of similar proportions to the landing radiator case.

Another problem is the edge of the platform that crosses the ante room at the sill level of the three windows. How does that terminate beyond those windows? Does it continue around the rest of the room back to the ledge? I suspect not. There must be a termination of some sort. The banding all the way around the room that you show seems to interrupt the larger banding that extends from near the ceiling to near the baseboard. If that troublesome detail is reconciled, and the ante room radiator case cut down to size, I believe balance will be reached.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last nit to pick about the radiator cases: Don't the openings you show seem a bit undersized? Would enough heat come through the 5 slots to heat the room? Would the rest of the case become overheated, enclosed as much as it is? Since the case is only a detail on the plan, I think it should not be taken too literally.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The room, as has been suggested, may have been meant as an addition to William S. Spaulding's own home. Would a look at the 1910 and 1920 census records identify the address of that building, and a quick Google around that address determine if it is still standing? That could resolve some issues about how the room was to fit into the space allowed.

(My sister, our family's genealogist, found the house where we lived in 1940. I googled the address, and it looked exactly like the house dad drove by for a gander in our Roadmaster in the early 50s.)
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, gentlemen!

Pleased to return to this chat room and help with this wonderful model that Chad is making with your incredible help.

I'm going to start modeling the furniture, from what I see in the drawings I would say that the chair is the Spindle Cube Chair:

http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/190558

As for the tables, it seems to be this design:

maybe this?:

(I'm not sure about this last one, in Wright's drawing-perspective it's different)

http://www.bonluxat.com/d/frank-lloyd-wright.html

Regarding the wood board (I'm not sure how to name it), Any suggestions? I have not found anything similar on the internet ...

and about the carpet ... any suggestions?
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, those look like good choices. It's fortunate that, in 1919, Mr Wright chose existing furnishings, some of them from an earlier period, to place in his initial sketches here, rather than designing new ones !

I'm not sure what you mean by "wood board." Do you mean, what is the specie and color of the wood trim ?

Thanks in advance for your work on this project !

SDR
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello SDR!

I refer to the "blackboard" (I suppose made of wood) that appears as a furniture and on which there are exposed prints.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about "blackboard" (in schools here the material so called was slate, mounted vertically to the wall at the head of the classroom). Perhaps you
mean the slanted display surface (it might be called an easel or a backboard ?). I don't see prints mounted elsewhere, except on walls.

We've been struggling with what that material should be. I vote for fabric; we have wood and something light-colored like plaster as the other choices, I
believe. Roderick has pointed to the fact that there is no frame or surrounding trim, which would be necessary if there was a change of material at the corners
where the easel meets the entrance openings -- which are assumed to be plastered.

Or do you mean the easel, a canted board suspended between two end standards ? It appears in two elevations, the perspective view, and on the floor plan.
There are several versions of a print-viewing easel in Wright's work, but I think this is a unique item for Wright.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the display easel to be wood seems to me unconvincing. That's a lot of area for plain wood, while a plaster or fabric finish would work fine. The wood would suck up a lot of light.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds right to me.

S
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easel furniture from the Spaulding drawings:

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Here is a well-known Wright print stand:

https://flwright.org/researchandexplore/furnitureanddecorativearts

David

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just what I was looking for! Seeing the drawings I did not know exactly what the object was, thanks SDR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: