Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Iowa, Minneapolis connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Iowa, Minneapolis connections Reply with quote

Hi all, forgive me for being a "stranger" around here. I honestly thought this site was gone.

I'm planning on heading to Iowa and Minneapolis in March and I'm wondering if anyone could help me with some connections? I've already contacted and had good luck with the Trier family/home.

I'm heading north from KC.

I'd like to visit the Sunday home in Marshalltown, cruise by the Elam house. And of course see the Sullivan bank in Owatonna, MN.

That would leave me the homes in and around Minneapolis. Are the Lovness structures accessible? I know the Willey house is occasionally open...?

I apologize, I'm very much out of the loop on some of these homes.

Paul Ringstrom gave me such a fantastic tour of Mason City last year, I feel I'm ruined for future trips. I'm hoping to cruise through Mason City on the way back home, having seen most of the structures there last year.

Any help and direction would be appreciated. It would save me time from writing everyone, but that will be my next step.

Thanks!
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Hypno!

When in Minneapolis, look for John Howe works...

First Church of Christ Scientist, New Brighton (Minneapolis northern suburb)
very worth seeing!
http://christiansciencemn.weebly.com/new-brighton.html

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x52b32f2732d279f5%3A0x8b5200a8c7120c7a!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Flh%2Fsredir%3Funame%3D105318562392949005916%26id%3D6394050305331434146%26target%3DPHOTO!5sfirst%20church%20of%20christ%20scientist%20new%20brighton%20mn%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNR7bOmKN8fO38xWFsEQyWZWKcqVpM9Okrax9ww&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic8peR1pbZAhUHc98KHXHZDWgQoioIbjAK

Menomonie Public Library, Menomonie, WI (about an hour east of New Brighton)
https://menomonielibrary.org/it-is-our-30th/
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/105242766.jpg
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elam House rents. Purcell-Cutts House in Mpls by Purcell & Elmslie is open for tours. There's a bit of Northome on display at the Mpls Institute of Art, which is the only McKim, Mead & White building in MN, with an addition by Kenzo Tange. The Olfelt House is on the market. I believe Lovness sold some time ago. At least it's no longer listed by FLWBC. To see the structures, you would have to go onto the property, however. Christ Church Lutheran at 3244 S. 34th Ave., Mpls, was designed by Eliel Saarinen, with help from son Eero, who also designed an addition. Beautiful building. For a wallow in 1890s grandomania, visit the 36,000 sf James J. Hill mansion on Summit Ave. in St. Paul, designed by Peabody & Stearns.
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dan and Roderick for your information. I have very little time, so I'm (as typical) cramming as much in as possible.

Dan, I had planned a Minneapolis trip last year, but we moved and that didn't come to pass. I had looked into Howe's work and the work of Purcell & Elmslie. I'm a bit rusty on my research. Thank you for pointing those two structures out to me. (Also Glad to be back, and I will be searching for any new photos of your home!)

Roderick, The Purcell-Cutts house is open the weekend before I'm going up, but I may try other options. I will definitely drive by no matter what happens. It was high on my list to see.

The Institute of Art appears to be a solid stop that I will visit. Their collection seems quite impressive.

Thank you for the tip about Christ Church Lutheran. I would not have known of the structure. I know little about the Saarinen family, minus the Arch.

The James J Hill Mansion seems to be quite the formidable residence. That may be further down the list, but would be impressive if I have the time.

Thank you so much for your help. I usually succeed in my time line and am exhausted afterward. But I realize there really is just too much to see in a short amount of time. I'll do my best.

Thanks!
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, hypno.

You may also consider visiting the Fasbender Clinic in Hastings, MN. When my wife and I visited some years back the folks working there were very accommodating.

David
hypnoraygun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DavidC! I was thinking about going by the Fasbender Clinic. Glad to hear they are welcoming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: