Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Article: FLW documentary on KCET TV - Los Angeles, CA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Article: FLW documentary on KCET TV - Los Angeles, CA Reply with quote

Frank Lloyd Wright, Doug Aitken, La Raza and More Highlighted in New Season of Arts and Culture Series ARTBOUND Returning to KCET and Link TV March 6

David
SREcklund

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Article: FLW documentary on KCET TV - Los Angeles, CA Reply with quote

DavidC wrote:
Frank Lloyd Wright, Doug Aitken, La Raza and More Highlighted in New Season of Arts and Culture Series ARTBOUND Returning to KCET and Link TV March 6

David

Hawthrone wrote an article for the LA Times on Wright's birthday last year that may provide a preview of his documentary episode ...

Frank Lloyd Wright at 150: Why his Los Angeles houses deserve a closer look

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice account, last year, by Mr Hawthorne -- though at seven repetitions the term "Pre-Columbian" does get quite a work-out.

I'm pleased to learn that Pauline Schindler found joy, as I do, in the Storer opus; in fact it is news to me that she lived there for a time -- I believe.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The L. A. houses ... were inscrutable and even crypt-like not by accident but by design. They were places for Wright to bury the grief he'd been shouldering for nearly a decade, since Mamah Borthwick, the woman he had abandoned his family and career for, had been brutally murdered in 1914."

Considering that by November of 1914, 3 months after the murders, Wright had already taken up with Miriam Noel, it is a stretch to connect the textile block houses to Mamah's death. This is pure speculation. A lot happened between the murders and the block houses both personally and professionally. Moreover, to characterize the houses as crypt-like suggests that Mr. Hawthorne has not visited them, which I doubt. La Min has a redoubt-like quality to it, but Storer, Ennis and Freeman do not in the least. FLW obviously was distraught by the loss of his love, but it had nothing to do with his architecture.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Which is why I find this quote surprising: "Wright acknowledged the somber quality of his textile-block designs. “I think what you say is probably true as to its lacking joy,” he conceded in a letter to Lloyd Wright about the Storer House."

For me Storer is joyful even in the absence of the colorful awnings J Silver had made, to designs, apparently by the architect, for the upper-level terraces.

SDR
Reidy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pauline Schindler, when she lived in Storer, tried to get a business going as west coast agent or sales rep for famous architects, including Wright.

Another note to Storer is that Ayn Rand and her husband were interested in buying it in the 40s. They talked to Lloyd about a restoration and (apparently) lost heart when they heard his cost estimate. Instead they bought Neutra's Von Sternberg house.

Xavier Cugat lived for a time in the apartment Schindler added to Freeman.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert Dekker also rented the Freeman apartment.
DavidC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S9 E1: That Far Corner - Frank Lloyd Wright in Los Angeles (Trailer) - [0:35]

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 5 of the 1919-1925 California houses were designed to take advantage of and respond to the topography and climate of an environment he had not previously addressed, and to find a new expression to replace the Prairie Style that had already faded into the past. They have a monumental aspect, not because Mamah died, but because it's the nature of the material - concrete - that he chose to work with. Extensions of it are "Death Valley" Scotty's Castle Project, the small octagonal desert encampment he designed for himself in Death Valley, San Marcos, Doheny, Young and Cudney Projects, and the Lloyd Jones House. FLW was not one to lose himself in reverie.
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I tried to crack the mysterious case of Frank Lloyd Wright's Los Angeles houses

Preserving Frank Lloyd Wright's Place in Los Angeles Architectural History

David
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Lloyd Wright's Los Angeles Houses Reconsidered

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Hawthorne is all over the place. I watched the show last night, and while the photography was brilliant, the themes were suspect at the very least. I never have been impressed by Hawthorne's writing. His support of Peter Zumthor's design for the new LACMA tells me he needs a remedial course on aesthetics and architecture.
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demystifying Frank Lloyd Wright’s most eccentric LA homes

David
Matt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really buy the idea that these homes were about Wright working out his grief. I do think there's an argument that these are the first Brutalist buildings.

They fit into a larger ornate phase that Wright was going through...which can be seen in many many unbuilt designs of the era. Was he doubling-down on decoration in response to more streamline work from Europe?
DavidC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warp and the Weft: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Textile Block Houses Weave an Enduring Legacy

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: