Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Is this Desk Lamp Authentic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lamp. And interesting note above re the piece of wood from which the lamp suspending wires hang: why wasn't this square? Great observation. This varies on lamps with different suspension systems and always jumped out at me as the crudest part of the design. I suppose an argument could be made that a square might impede the escape of any heat generated by the bulb?

The base, while clunky, comes in handy when moving the lamp around...as in dragging it closer to something I'm reading or want more light on. There's a metal lamp from the 1950's that has a base of flat metal, which dissapears onto the surface of the desk, but also means you have to grab the post of the lamp to move it.
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the lamp is pitch perfect, brass wires, rectangular suspension plate and all. I can honestly say that I doubt I will ever tire of the design.

The most sublime detail is the sloping support for the shades, angling slightly differently than the shade itself. It’s the one surprise that never fails to please, and the one that even if one were to know all of the “principles” or typical moves of Wright, would probably never be imagined by a “mere mortal”....
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many critics complain about FLW's furniture designs, and some arguments have merit. But there is not, nor has there ever been, a valid argument against his designs of light fixtures. This slight appurtenance is, in its simplicity, one of his best, a work of art for the ages.
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. And because of that simplicity, unlike some of his furniture, it would be elegant and at home in any architectural environment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: