Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Is this Desk Lamp Authentic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lamp. And interesting note above re the piece of wood from which the lamp suspending wires hang: why wasn't this square? Great observation. This varies on lamps with different suspension systems and always jumped out at me as the crudest part of the design. I suppose an argument could be made that a square might impede the escape of any heat generated by the bulb?

The base, while clunky, comes in handy when moving the lamp around...as in dragging it closer to something I'm reading or want more light on. There's a metal lamp from the 1950's that has a base of flat metal, which dissapears onto the surface of the desk, but also means you have to grab the post of the lamp to move it.
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the lamp is pitch perfect, brass wires, rectangular suspension plate and all. I can honestly say that I doubt I will ever tire of the design.

The most sublime detail is the sloping support for the shades, angling slightly differently than the shade itself. It’s the one surprise that never fails to please, and the one that even if one were to know all of the “principles” or typical moves of Wright, would probably never be imagined by a “mere mortal”....
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many critics complain about FLW's furniture designs, and some arguments have merit. But there is not, nor has there ever been, a valid argument against his designs of light fixtures. This slight appurtenance is, in its simplicity, one of his best, a work of art for the ages.
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. And because of that simplicity, unlike some of his furniture, it would be elegant and at home in any architectural environment.
Matt

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting my desklamp up for sale. It will be in an auction next month. I've been asked by the house what the official title is for this design. I think it is Taliesin III. Is that right?
Matt

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this. Eager for an answer. Is the name of this lamp Taliesin I or Taliesin III? I've seen both used.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://shop.franklloydwright.org/store/p/28610-Taliesin-1-Lamp?gclid=CjwKCAjwlcXXBRBhEiwApfHGTVKkvO87gc1zq2w-rNo_mhYnfULG_ce_-aj24ZveDwVa8kacpK1SsRoC58gQAvD_BwE

http://www.shopwright.org/product/lamp-taliesin1-walnut/lamps-lighting?gclid=CjwKCAjwlcXXBRBhEiwApfHGTdAUjtZfebdqJtFwQn5yLGmoQ0UJ5ECx6lRsJXi_QpoZDXVMP2TkVBoCPUUQAvD_BwE

https://www.maclinstudio.com/products/frank-lloyd-wright-taliesin-1-table-lamp-cherry?gclid=CjwKCAjwlcXXBRBhEiwApfHGTQZYCa49IuXqtdz6hzJ-L0UMxkxE-OhUgisCw2i52rYrqkuebJeyKhoC720QAvD_BwE

https://www.nova68.com/S2310.html

I have not seen this lamp described as a "desk lamp." That may be how it is used in some homes -- but it is a table lamp.

SDR
Matt

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose a desk is a kind of table.

Somone at the Foundation referred to this at a Taliesin III lamp, but I'm not sure they were ever given an official name. And the reproductions are called Taliesin I as your links indicate.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
I suppose a desk is a kind of table.

Somone at the Foundation referred to this at a Taliesin III lamp, but I'm not sure they were ever given an official name. And the reproductions are called Taliesin I as your links indicate.

The confusion could also stem from the fact that Yamagiwa has made the lamp in two sizes - the 24" referred to in the links as a "Taliesin I", and a 16" version of which I have a copy.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did they call the lamp you bought ? Perhaps they're both Yamagiwa Taliesin I ?

Peter's our resident Yamagiwa expert, now; maybe he can find us some representative literature ?

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m by no means an expert on Yamagiwa, but a google search provides this:

http://en.yamagiwa.co.jp/series/detail/5/

My guess is that the numbers are for reference only, and have nothing to do with what Wright would have called the lamps.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consensus seems to be that the table lamp that is the subject of this thread is to be called Taliesin 1 -- for want of a prior, original, or Wright-approved alternative . . .

SDR
JimM

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm wrote:

My guess is that the numbers are for reference only, and have nothing to do with what Wright would have called the lamps.

An important distinction.... at the time I got my T1 table lamp I wondered if there was a correlation to Taliesin 1, which of course is not the case, and first appeared later at Taliesin in the 20's. The "inspired" floor version is also a #1. The Hillside hanging fixture "inspired" floor lamp is #2, and the table lamp versions are #3 & #4. Note the Robie fixture in Peter's link is #1.... are there others by Yamagiwa? I recall there's a version of the beautiful brass based/art glass table lamp, similar to Dana, out there somewhere.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A subtle but distinct difference between Taliesin I and the Taliesin 1 table lamp is Roman vs Arabic numerals -- a useful nomenclature as long as it is consistently observed. I won't hold my breath . . .

Another table lamp we could look at is the Robie/Dana "hipped-roof" art glass-and-bronze affair. We recently saw a third example of this type, in the Little living room display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Does anyone know if the lamp in the Met photo belongs to the Little commission ? I note that its base is different from those of the Dana and Robie lamps. Is it Wright ?

Little

Dana

Dana

Robie

Robie

http://www.prairiedesigns.com/cart.pl?sku=R-1&action=detail

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And . . . lest we forget, Cassina's version of the Origami chair is being called (has been called ?) Taliesin 1.

At least the numbering is consistent, between these various purveyors . . . of entirely different furniture pieces, all with the same name. Is this the Foundation's doing, or . . . what ?

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: