Article: Getting high in FLW Jr's Sowden House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: Getting high in FLW Jr's Sowden House

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I have lost count of the number of times this house has changed hands in the past few decades.

Craig

Post by Craig »

It's great to see that the stereotypical wackiness of Southern California is still intact. Cannabis for pets, the Black Dahlia, talk of the "transformative power" of the house - what a great story!
ch

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes -- the Land of Fruits and Nuts lives on . . .

Aren't you an expatriate of the Golden West, Craig -- as I am a transplant from the Frozen East ?

8)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The orchards are long gone. It is now the land endless burbs ... like Frisco.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Aren't you an expatriate of the Golden West?
Now warmly ensconced in the California desert. It was 82 degrees here yesterday. And yes, I would gladly smoke some (now legal) marijuana if I could hang out in the Sowden house for a few hours. Who knows? Even I may feel the healing vibes!
ch

egads

Post by egads »

I have a friend who is participating in an event there in a couple of months. I will keep you posted. The last one was at Neutra’s VDL, but we only drank.

Craig

Post by Craig »

Yes, please do! Wow, drinking in Neutras. Getting high in Lloyd Wrights. Looks like architectural tours have risen (or sunken, depending) to new levels.
ch

egads

Post by egads »

Not tours, but that is what did:

http://www.homela.org/onehousetwice/

It's actually kind of weird, you don't know if you should help the women falling down the stairs or if it's part of the dance.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I don't think you need ganja to get high at VDL.
I saw the house while planning for the 1986 Homeowners' Conference, while Dionne was still there. She was a very gracious steward of her husband's legacy, and a delight to be around. After we were shown all, she ended our visit with a solo on the cello.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

peterm

Post by peterm »

I’m holding out for the “dropping Acid in a Bruce Goff house tour�.

DRN

Post by DRN »

During the coming attractions at a local multiplex last weekend, I caught a glimpse of the courtyard of Sowden in the trailer for a thriller. Not sure of the name of the upcoming film.

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

DRN wrote:During the coming attractions at a local multiplex last weekend, I caught a glimpse of the courtyard of Sowden in the trailer for a thriller. Not sure of the name of the upcoming film.
"I Am The Night" - it's a limited run series on TNT that includes the Black Dahlia murder case. Many folks ... including, apparently, those making the series ... believe the murder was committed in the basement of Sowden.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright