Article: Quest to photograph every Wright structure

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: Quest to photograph every Wright structure

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

I can tell you his total has gone up by two; he shot Ennis House yesterday, and I got to shoot alongside him at Hollyhock on Tuesday.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

DRN

Post by DRN »

I do hope Andrew reaches out to homeowners prior to arriving with camera in hand....houses often can be "not ready for prime time": trash cans & recycling bins lying about, unwashed and or poorly styled cars blocking views in drives, patio furniture stacked in winter hibernation, wind blown leaves caught in corners, etc. (I'm speaking from personal experience) Also, I know there are some owners who may not necessarily want to participate.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That calls to mind the long ago Chat chap who photographed so many FLW houses. When he posted a photo of the driveway of the Cooke House where it joined the road, he received an angry response from the owners of the unseen house, and took the photo down immediately.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Arizona photographer is on a mission to shoot every Frank Lloyd Wright building

My guess is that Pat Mahoney has already accomplished this feat.

David
Last edited by DavidC on Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick, that sounds like Peter Beers, doesn't it ? Never did one see so many photos of driveways---and nothing more. He clearly took owners' privacy to heart ...

S

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

I don't want to speak for Andrew, but I've worked with him on enough related projects to say that the whole process of negotiating with the sites to agree on a set shooting opportunity is the biggest part of the challenge. He's far enough into the project now that it carries it's own cachet, and that serves as leverage where needed (like getting to shoot SC Johnson, for example). But he _never_ just shows up unannounced with a camera ...
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Randolph C. Henning

Post by Randolph C. Henning »

I had a friend and colleague in Fort Lauderdale, FL who, without fanfare or self-promotion, sought to visit and photograph all of Wright's extant works. It was his own deeply personal quest. Unfortunately and tragically cancer ended his ability to reach that goal on December 17, 2014. He almost made it though, shy a couple of dozen I believe. Donald F. Zimmer, AIA . . may he rest in peace.