Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Joseph Euchtman House Sold
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great collection of exterior images.

I wonder if we'll ever see a photo without the added masonry enclosure. Perhaps it is original ? The unusual brick pattern and material seems to match well.

On page 56 of Sergeant (1976) the author speaks of the Sturges and Baird houses, then says "The Euchtman house . . . has a similar plan but is smaller, its diagonal carport built around an existing tree, complete with copper flashing."

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures linked by therman7g are very helpful, thank you.
SDR: I believe the plan deviation at the bedroom end of the house is an addition, built sometime after the original construction. The addition seems to have been built within the drip line of the original trellis at the house's end and it projects outward from the carport fascia for some distance. Though the coursing and pattern of the brickwork matches the original, notice the faces of the rowlocks on the addition are blue/black...on the original there is no color difference. Also, Storrer is typically conscientious about noting if a building has been altered from the original design. For him to publish an as-built plan omitting a considerable plan deviation and not noting it is out of character.

I'm sure the addition is useful, but the damage done by the loss of the projecting trellis and the corner condition of the French doors at the last bedroom cannot be overstated, and the cold grey opaque stain or paint, all detract from what is otherwise a very beautiful house with an elegant plan.
jim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN is correct that this is a later addition. When I saw the house 20 or so years ago there was a smaller windowless addition there that I surmised was some kind of utilitarian space, not the major room that is there now.
jay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was trying to find some info on the Euchtman house, and threw the address into Redfin hoping to find the square footage.... What came up was a sold-listing with a number of interior photos (which readers of this site may or may not want to see):

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Baltimore/6807-Cross-Country-Blvd-21215/home/11175416
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Jay. I hadn’t seen the interior before. Looks like the house has seen some significant changes...partitions removed, replaced kitchen, painting of some surfaces, not sure if windows have been replaced, but, doors to the pool addition look different. We noted earlier there was an addition at the bedroom end of the house which clips the end of the carport.

The ceiling looks beautiful. This house, like Sondern, would be a little gem if put back to original.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: