Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

eBay: FLW T. West School brochure from 1966

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: eBay: FLW T. West School brochure from 1966 Reply with quote

Frank Lloyd Wright Rare

David
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The item is described as a nine-page brochure, consisting of numbered pages 1 through 7, and two additional unnumbered pages. Page 6 is missing; it appears to have contained the first three items (a through c) of a description of the campus facilities, and perhaps other matter.

I have made screen shots of the nine brochure pages as presented. Perhaps this document has been published ?

SDR
JimM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more or less what I received in 1974 when I inquired about applying. My copy was revised 1972 and has a cover page with index prior to page one of the sale.

My page two is different, with information about the buildings and facilities. The other pages have the same information but are mixed up and renumbered. Don't know about the missing page six (perhaps originally my page two?). My page six includes tuition and fees...Interesting in 1972 the tuition dropped from $3000 to $2500 (would have had to drop precipitously more than that for me at the time to be relevant).

What's missing is an un-numbered sheet (maybe new to 72) detailing clothing and other information such as bedding, supplies, tools, etc. Clothes were a big deal and broken down by: Work Clothes, for Drafting Room & Classes, for Weekday Evenings, and for Formal Evenings (notably the required tuxedo "dark matching coat and trousers, white formal shirt, cuff links, cummerbund, black formal shoes..." and a helpful suggestion that "Spring and Summer weight serves best year round." Good news though, a separate dinner jacket was optional if you already had the tuxedo; but dang, then you needed "a suit for town wear, travel and formal occasions and theater performances". Luckily, "turtle neck and colored formal shirts may be worn occasionally".

In 1974, the tuition and wardrobe alone prevented any further serious consideration of applying. For a long time I humored myself by thinking... wait a minute, Franks been dead since 1959; what would be the point? Simplistic, if obvious. The staff was still rich with Wright associates in the seventies. But just as well, I was later to correctly surmise I would not have functioned appropriately or as expected during the Olga years.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jim. Good to know there's another similar one out there. Seems like a good bet that your page two is the missing page six of the subject brochure. But there's no way to know if the copy on that page differed from your example, I guess.

I'd be glad to type out the contents of the brochure I took screen shots of, if anybody wants it. Interesting that the seller would provide the whole thing to the prospective buyer.

And thanks for your history with the process. We learn more and more about how things proceeded under Olgivanna . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not receive such a brochure in '62. Just got a call from probably Masselink after inquiring by letter. I had a tux, but no other attire was required or defined. The cost was two grand.
Forest

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet another one exists. My copy is from 1967. It is identical to the version on ebay with the addition of Allen L. Davison and deletion of David Dodge on the staff roster. The missing page 6 has three short paragraphs continuing the Student Conduct section, and Facilities descriptions of the Drafting Room, Work Shops and Cinema & Lecture Hall.

SDR, if you'd like to save yourself the trouble of retyping the document, I'd be happy to scan and email it to you!

I also received the two reading list pages. Two other interesting points; in my 1967 version there was nothing about attire, as JimM received on additional page; and the actual Application for Fellowship at Taliesin is about as brief as it could be, asking only nine questions. Apparently the interview was everything.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Forest. You'll be able to supply a possibly correct page six to "my" copy of the October 1966 brochure. As for scanning, I have only the pages as photographed (barely) in the eBay listing at the beginning of this thread. Copying it manually seems the only recourse -- and it will, in places where the light source reflects off the page, be a matter of interpretation, reminiscent of those security recognition widgets one encounters in online registration or similar activity.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: