Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Aaron Green declared not a "master architect"...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the Monday evening meeting? Has Aaron's stock risen?
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck was pretty strongly stacked against the Eldred house. Details to follow.

S
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . .

Last edited by SDR on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plans of the Eldred residence of Aaron Green, � 2017 by Randolph C Henning

https://www.amazon.com/Aaron-G-Green-Organic-Architecture/dp/1939621372
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying Henning's new book on Aaron Green, I find a logo or monogram I'd never seen before. It appears on the last page of the book and again, imprinted on the back cover.

I assume the architect designed this handsome mark for himself.

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randolph Henning will be at Hennessey & Ingalls in Downtown Los Angeles on Dec. 9, 2:00PM.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been exploring Randolph Henning's new Aaron Green monograph, which arrived from Amazon while Wright Chat was on hiatus. I'm almost embarrassed to have paid only their discounted price for this fantastic "gift." The package weighed so much that I thought there must have been some shipping error -- they'd sent two books instead of one ? But no; all 448 pages, in a handsome russet-and-gold cloth binding, comprise a single copy of Mr Hennings's new work.

The author's text is preceded by a foreword from Alan Hess, a preface by Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer, and an introduction by Green's longtime associate and successor, Jan Novie. The book provides coverage of forty projects, with Green's delicious drawings and with vintage and modern photographs of each completed building.

In my first reading I didn't get beyond page 33, the last of eight on which are printed a set of plans, framing plans, sections and elevations of an entrancing early house design -- in which young Mr Green, having recently joined the Fellowship and after ushering the Rosenbaum house to completion, is already setting Wright's Usonian Standard Detail Sheet aside and inventing an alternate construction vocabulary of his own devising. As with any novel and rich design, it will take considerable time to fully absorb the contents of this modest house design.

The Morris Mitchell house is shown first in an intriguing colored perspective, with wall and fenestration detail which had already been revised by the time the orthogonal drawings were made. A house in wood and stone, for a Georgia building site; unbuilt, but a motherlode of possibilities reminding me, in that sense, of Schindler's unbuilt log house design dated "Taliesin, April 1918."

Run, don't walk, to your nearest bookseller or keyboard, and acquire this book for your library. Henning and company have outdone themselves with this work . . . in my humble opinion.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: