Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Glenbrow Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. And the mailbox is sweet; your address is a happy accident, providing a lively rhythm in a numeral face featuring ascenders and descenders . . .

How about a gate-leg drop-leaf dining table whose long top halves independently fold down over swing-in legs, allowing the table to be placed at the wall, half-folded, as a buffet, or folded completely and placed at the wall to free the room ?

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=2484

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on a labor of love! And just in time for spring...Break open the champagne and celebrate!
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the mail box very much. The only hitch is the probable death of "snail-mail." You may soon have to come up with a way to repurpose the mail box altogether, perhaps replacing the box with a light?
Mod mom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! Roderick, for now a mailbox is required. We don't have electricity to the carport, pond or gate but the electrician is coming out on Weds and Thursday

Joe put up the mailbox on Sunday and 2 unannounced cars with people we did not know drove into the property. We have a temp gate and will be putting up a fence along the tree line but not until we sell the house we have lived in during the project. Joe will design both as well as a sign once we finish the tower. The fence will block some of the 50 mph traffic and protect my dogs, and of course will be landscaped in front of it. All projects with the exception of the cabinet doors and electricity to walkway and carport are on hold until we sell the other house, ... we are way over budget.

One of the misconceptions we had going into this project was we could use some of the equity we put into the house, should we go over budget. Apparently this was not the case. We couldn't believe it, we've previously paid off 4 homes, have great credit and Joe has a great job but since the house was not finished, no bank would touch it. Perhaps the fear of an unusual home played a role as well with conservative bankers. The estimates some of the original advocates of the house had was WAY off and that was with us doing a great deal of the work. I will be advocating for our landmark organization to organize financing with local banks to help individuals on projects such as ours.
Mod mom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, I'll make the suggestion to Joe. We liked how the table at Kentucky Knob could be taken apart. We have 8 Eames chairs, but seriously how often do you need a table that seats 8? I see that room along with the kitchen (work space) as being the most lived in.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/28288303884082341/

Looks like the table comes apart into two shorter tables ?

http://kentuckknob.com/tale-two-tables-nakashima-frank-lloyd-wright-home/

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nakashima suite shown in the black and white photo at Kentuck Knob looks right at home... It's true, a solid slab of wood is always better than veneer for a dining table, isn't it?

The Hagans retained the Nakashima pieces when they sold the house to Lord Palumbo, and the cypress table is back in place.
Mod mom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our last table was a solid piece in oak that we designed several inches thick that took 8 guys to move in without the legs. We had to leave it when we moved because it weighed too much assembled:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/16363528926/in/album-72157648103895493/

I want a table that can be broken down in pieces and moved to make the room function better, which is why the Kentucky Knob table attracted my attention. Also I like the irregular angles that can also be found in Glenbrow.

Joe is thinking that cypress is too soft of a wood for a table top. Is that what Wright specified? because the original Kentucky Knob table looks in great shape. the only tables as well as the sofa we have that are original to the house are Doug Fir with cypress trim.

I like to prioritize projects and as such, the table will wait until after the tower. We will have to make due with 6'+ butcher block slab with hair pin legs that we quickly made for the temp house, and that will eventually make it's way to the lowest level of the tower to serve as a library/work table.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maple is one of the hardest, and is probably the smoothest (least porous), of the hardwoods one could use for a table top. I would consider setting aside the desideratum of single-specie, for the practicality of a table able to take use and abuse in stride.

All larger furniture pieces should be foldable or easily demountable, it seems to me. The centuries have borne their share of unwieldy furnishings being manhandled into and out of buildings; there's just no good reason for us to be so burdened and inconvenienced. Hinges are as easy and sturdy a way to connect pieces and parts to each other, as any -- even if their ability to fold isn't utilized. Almost any butt hinge can be supplied with a loose rather than a fixed pin.

SDR
Mod mom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd offer a break from the disappointing news of the day and offer new photos of Glenbrow in full foliage. We have settled in and are LOVING the fruits of our labor! Of course there are still projects ahead, the big one being the tower, which we hope to start towards the end of summer. Joe's studio quickly filled with artwork and many bins from the kids moving back from college for the summer, and he's actually toying with the idea of a future art pavilion on the tennis court that could kill two birds with one stone: a space to display/house the artwork and soundproofing. It would be designed in the spirit of the house with a solid concrete block wall along the tree line to help with street noise from the 50 mph road (we still don't have the 6' fence up to block and theres an old frame from the tennis court that we could add sound proofing material). First the tower!

Here are some recent exterior images: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/34242511243/in/album-72157650444413635/
Mod mom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to working on the house, next in line are kitchen cabinet doors in sinker cypress veneered birch. We will attempt to replicate cabinets from the only original 1940s kitchen photo we have. When we took ownership there was plastic laminate cabinets from the second owner. The sinker cypress veneer was selected based on restored trim that was returned to line the upper boundary of the raised area of the kitchen as well as the kitchen shelves along the stone wall.

Here is the original 1940s kitchen: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/14390396226/in/album-72157650444413635/

This photo shows the restored sinker cypress trim in the kitchen: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/33441611442/in/album-72157650444413635/

Here are my future cabinet doors in sinker cypress veneered birch (we were unable to find douglas fir plywood in the quantity we needed in the quality we wanted so we selected birch):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/35327203670/in/album-72157650444413635/
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing the Glenbrow Update thread back post-outage.

search terms: gunning

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: