Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

1949 Taliesin Origami Chair - Dimensions? Sketches? Drawing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note that the title of the thread is "1949 Taliesin Origami Chair." It has come to my attention that American designer Paul McCobb produced a design for a molded fiberglass chair in 1960, a design he called Faceted Form Chair. It seems that others have called this chair "Origami." It does not resemble Wright's design.

I find that I have no information on the history of Wright's chair as to date of original design and, more particularly, the date when the word Origami was first applied to the design.

Can anyone provide facts ?

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mccobb's dialogue with Charles and Ray:

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=151411998710

McCobb was not the most original or innovative designer, but I find the results always pitch perfect. His wood designs owe much to Nakashima, and the rest riffs on Wormley, Knoll, Nelson and Eames. Not much of a Wright influence, however; McCobb's furniture is much lighter and airier...

I'm not sure that Wright ever referred to his creation as the Origami, at least on drawings of the chair...
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Elsewhere online I found a nice-looking black armshell on a star base. There was also an "armless" version. (Those aren't really functioning arms, I guess -- more of an enclosure gesture ?)

Here's the thread that alerted me to the issue:

http://www.designaddict.com/design_addict/forums/index.cfm?fuseaction=thread_show_one&thread_id=14671

SDR
owenCollins

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I found digital versions of Jack Howe's variation on the University of Minnesota digitized collection.

https://umedia.lib.umn.edu/node/89450?mode=basic

https://umedia.lib.umn.edu/node/89451?mode=basic

Both have links to high resolution versions of the images, with legible dimensions and angle measurements.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Owen ! At last. And very definitely from the Horse's Mouth, as it were -- not an apprentice or third party more removed from the center of action.

And the name Butterfly Chair -- I had forgotten that term completely. So, who called it what, and when, becomes a question to be answered. Origami vs Butterfly: here we go . . .

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Howe's horizontally-oriented sheet, dated 8/10/73, the fully-upholstered chair appears to have ideal lounge-chair seat and back angles. Howe has
indicated, and then removed, the "tail" to the (original) seat plane; note that he adjusts the seat angle with an extra panel just under the foam.
Parallel fin-like rear legs replace the "bird's tail" rear foot. I like the triangular glue-blocks under the arms. Howe mentions that the measurements
were taken from a built example -- but we don't know which one.

The other, squarer sheet (Dec, 1986), shows a chair pared down to the minimum number of parts. It also has relatively conventional parallel
plywood rear legs -- perhaps Howe's contribution to the type ? Its narrow "lapels" (arms) are notable; in this it reminds me a bit of the pair of chairs
made for the Sturges residence, presumably drawn by John Lautner. See p 3 of this thread.

Perhaps the Butterfly moniker is not applied much if at all to this chair because there is another, much more ubiquitous modern chair with the same name:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_chair

SDR
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing back the 1949 Taliesin Origami Chair thread post-outage.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: