Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

The Gunning House (Glenbrow) will be restored!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Education Professor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod mom,

I appreciate the information about Tony Smith's apprenticeship. I'll have to take another look at the Suntop Houses and the Armstrong House in Storrer's catalog. On a related note, did you complete a restoration of the Brotherton house?

The poem from "The Pattern of Organic Life in America" is quite good and seems to mirror Smith's 'organic' career in many ways.

EP
Mod mom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, EP, I'm not comprehending what you mean by this:

"On a related note, did you complete a restoration of the Brotherton house? "

Do you mean The Gunning House? If so, it's a work in progress. It's a HUGE job. As we unwrapped the layers we've kept finding more issues to deal with ; biggest problems occurred due to roof patches instead of replacement. In the former carport that had over 5 1/2 inch sage in the center supported by temp beams, workers discovers some roofer attempted to create taper by piling 8 1/2 inches of asphalt and rock! Everyone was surprised it had never collapsed. One of the reasons for the roof leaking was that the clerestory windows had NO flashing under them. In fact, later roofing made the line over the bottom of the window, allowing water to make it's way into the rafters.

Another issue that created havoc was the Van Fossen 60's addition (remember he was never an architect nor did he apprentice under Wright). He extended the concrete floor outside and the had a wrap around concrete block retaining wall in a submerged garden area. This was like having a pool with no where to go but toward the house (kitchen door and dining room wall. Both areas had rot from water and made for a perfect climate for wood eating insects.

Bad wood gone. Entire roof gone. We saved as much of the framing as we could. All were surprised by the amount that has withstood so much neglect and exposure to the elements.

I'll post some photos soon but I'm really tired right now. Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone. When we're done, everyone will be able to see our trials and tribulations on the PBS documentary! We're still not regretting our decision one iota! You wouldn't believe how beautiful the site is this time of year. I have almost all the poison ivy eradicated (went through dozens of tyvek suits!) and are now working on the cattails in the pond.
Education Professor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod mom,

My apologies for the confusion! I mistakenly thought from a previous post that you had owned the Brotherton house at one time.

I look forward to seeing the documentary of your restoration. I'm glad that Gunning/Glenbrow has found the perfect owners after all of these years.

EP
Mod mom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did own a previous apprentice house-the Noverre Musson House (his private home he designed for himself). Noverre Musson was an apprentice in the mid to late 30s. Here are some photos of Noverre Musson from Taliesin:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/111041947034333372/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/69805862946271372/

We also found out after we bought Gunning that he also designed the covered walkway that was erected in the 60s that lead from the carport to the main house.
Mod mom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was Robert and Mary Gunning's 82 wedding anniversary. I thought it would be nice to honor these forward thinking people with some photographs of our work in progress. Roof (FINALLY!!!) goes on tomorrow. The house is being closed up for the approaching winter, during which the floor will be removed and plumbing and hydronic heating system will be added. The new floor will be re-poured in spring once the temperatures steady.

photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! I can almost smell that new framing lumber...Please continue to update us on the progress. You have accomplished so much in such a short time...
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive. I applaud your decision to replace the roof framing. The all new framing will enable you to have a sturdy base for new roofing and the ability to insert whatever insulation and electrical you will need for a house in this century. Kudos.
Mod mom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David has kindly inquired about our progress so I thought I would update our photographs to share:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/

As some of you know the house sat unattended for nearly a decade so most of you will not be surprised to hear as we un-layered the house we found a lot of damage both from wood boring insects and water damage. We saved what structure was salvable and replaced the bad. The entire roof was removed and replaced with EPDM with tapered (1/4" per foot) insulation. Much to my husband's chagrin we chose white for energy efficiency (having replaced a previous flat roof with a white membrane on our Noverre Musson (FLLW apprentice) house we cut our air conditioning bills by 2/3.

The chimney stone had deterioration and had broken clay liners as well as not meeting code. Stone was repaired, clay liners were replaced and all chimneys made to code so the fireplaces can be used (although I heard today from our contractor that something accidentally fell into the Point Room chimney and will need to be retrieved before it can be used)

The new ceiling framing is a combination of old (3 stacked 2 X 4s) and new. The entire raised roof frame was replaced so that the clerestory windows can have adequate flashing underneath them. The previous roof sat above the old previous clerestory windows rotting not only the window frames but driving into the ceiling and rotting the wood.

All the drainage issues have been resolved and soon the mid 1940s retaining wall that was removed for a drainage system will be re-faced. Galvanized half round gutters were added above the lower patio off the kitchen and ravine patio that with a spout that will drain into a catch basin of river rocks (drains to the ravine). It was added after watching the effects of rain splatter up against the original ravine side french doors. (Prevailing winds are from the SW-the side the doors are on. The Point Room points south)

The house has been emptied for the next big phase…removal of the concrete floors so we can replace the hydronic heating..with a new geothermal system that will work off our well. We are annexing to tap into city water for house use. The well will be used for the heating and watering landscape.

We installed heavy posts in concrete with a steel gate after someone drove their truck through our heavy chain barricade and stole new soffit wiring that our electrician had just installed. Really frustrating! No one will be able to drive into our property now and our workers and neighbors have been instructed to contact police if they see intruders. The gate will be replaced with one my husband designs when we get to that point.

I have to say when you are on site you feel so removed from the suburban hell in close vicinity. The rush of the flowing creek blocks out all other background noise. Eventually after the annexation we will erect a fence along Broad Street (my husband will design it) and that coupled with a pond fountain should limit street noise. The leaves are off right now and it isn't really an issue, though.

Thanks for all the information that we used so far and will in the future. 2015 marks the 75th anniversary of Glenbrow. We would love to be at a point were we could show off our efforts.
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mod mom, for keeping us well informed and updated on your progress. You have accomplished a great amount already! The challenges at Glenbrow are huge - and it's wonderful to know that the home now has owners who are able to, first-and-foremost, save it from demolition - and then to be able to bring it back to it's beautiful glory. You truly have in your hands one of the most special homes in Ohio!

Keep up the fantastic work!

David

Last edited by DavidC on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pleasure seeing this one "coming back" ! What a lot of work . . .

SDR
ScottCLE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The project is really looking incredible. It really is great to see this house come back to life! Thank you so much for all of your hard work.
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing the Gunning Glenbrow thread back post-shutdown.

David
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Is there another Gunning thread ? Comments on the house have appeared much more recently -- somewhere -- than January of 2015 . . .

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: