Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Ling Po house on the market in Poquoson, VA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thills

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Ling Po house on the market in Poquoson, VA Reply with quote

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/141-Bennett-Rd-Poquoson-VA-23662/114679263_zpid/
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an outstanding little house! Elegantly simple.
I knew Ling Po was an excellent draftsman and graphic artist, but I had never seen a built work of architecture from him before.

Let's hope it is bought by someone who understands and appreciates it...the area is prone to vacation/retirement McMansion development. Luckily the house is on a narrow spit of land...one would need to buy the neighboring house to build big.
Craig

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful house on what appears to be a lovely site. It's going to be 120 degrees in the California desert today. I can only dream of restoring what looks to be an enclosed covered porch and feel the cool Atlantic Ocean breezes wash over me.
KevinW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, what a little sweetheart of a home. Perhaps another who could make very simple, very beautiful like Bob Beharka could. What more could anyone want or need. Thanks for sharing. This made my day!
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without having met Ling Po, or knowing much about him, this looks like what I would expect from him. Beautiful house. The mauve works, but I bet just about anyone who buys this house would be tempted to 'update' and expand the narrow galley kitchen, which would be a shame.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'd love to see the plan; it seems a compact if not a minimal house. The geometries of bedroom and bath suggest angled walls; another is seen in the long shot of the main space looking toward the kitchen. What do you suppose is the original intent of the hollowed-out and angled space, with cabinets above ?

Yet another novel ceiling treatment, with a reveal where a beam might ordinarily protrude; paired rafters connected to each other neatly and invisibly. Plywood fitted almost flush to the faces of the beams. One might even expect wiring to be hidden in the reveal . . .

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the alcove might have accommodated a grand piano,
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Good thought. Wonder if the house was ever published . . .

S
DRN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The listing notes house was built in 1968. Might Bill Schwarz or Rood recall this house? I'm assuming Ling Po designed the house under the TAA flag.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking around for info on Po, I find very little. Google: zilch. I had hoped that the Conservancy or the Foundation might have resources on the apprentices, but . . .

There's this: https://www.curbed.com/2011/12/16/10414958/creations-from-frank-lloyd-wrights-taliesin-apprentices

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the apprentice houses on SDR's list, the first by WWP, of course, has bowed here before more than once, and is quite a good work. The last one, by Lawrence Allen Bernstein is inventive, especially the kitchen cupboards fixed into the window wall. The bubble windows are a bit dated, but still not bad.

Bernstein has his own site with an interesting array of work, of which I especially like the Schwartz, Wolf and Hirt Houses. The house on SDR's site is called "Promontory," 5,000 sf, 9 BR, $82,000. Floor plans included.
peterm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason this link from Wikipedia doesn't work to share, so I copied and pasted the text:

"(born Chow Yi Hsien, aka 周儀先, aka Zhou Yi-Xian, in Peking, China on April 28, 1917; died April 28, 2014)[1] was an artist and apprentice to Frank Lloyd Wright. Chow's English name "Ling Po" was coined by Wright by combining Chow's ancestral home Ningbo (then Romanized as Ning Po) and the famous Chinese poet Li Bai (then Romanized as Li Po).[2][3]

One of the last delineators, or rendering artists, of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, he worked on the Frank Lloyd Wright renderings of the Guggenheim Museum interior, the Lenkurt Electric Company, and the Arizona State Capitol. The son of a Chinese Nationalist general and an artist, and an apprentice to Frank Lloyd Wright, Ling Po is best known for his architectural renderings, drawings, landscapes, and his architectural approach to creating sculpture. Ling Po left war-torn China to work in America, in 1945, under provisions of the Lend-Lease Act. He was particularly interested in industrial science and design. Upon his arrival in America, he worked briefly in the office of Marcel Breuer in Washington, DC, and in New York with Morris Sanders, an architect who was noted for using plastics to great advantage in modern design.

In 1946, he joined Wright's fabled Taliesin Fellowship.[4] Soon, he was summoned back to China to lead his ailing mother out of harm's way during the communist revolution. Stalled in San Francisco on his return to China, Ling Po aids Wright and William Wesley Peters on working drawings for Wright's V. C. Morris Gift Shop design. After moving his mother to safer ground in the remote Kunming, Ling appeals to Wright and is granted a return to Taliesin with his mother. Ling Po went on to render subsequent Frank Lloyd Wright designs, design and delineate buildings for the Taliesin Associated Architects, and exhibit his art in shows from Wisconsin to California. The Smithsonian Institution, holds a Frank Lloyd Wright textile design in its collection that was executed by Ling Po.[5] He is a contributing artist to Frank Lloyd Wright US Stamp design which was drawn by Patricia Armantides and Ling Po with lettering by Vernon Swaback and technical revisions by John Armantides"

In the studio at Taliesin West with Wright: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bf/Ling_Po_and_Frank_Lloyd_Wright.jpg/300px-Ling_Po_and_Frank_Lloyd_Wright.jpg

Portrait of Wright for US stamp: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/nethryk/media/bWVkaWFJZDo0NjMyMTk1MQ==/?ref=

Ling Po designed this great textile pattern for the Schumacher Taliesin line #102:
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/7e/b9/f0/7eb9f0c3cea8f0841e0b3ac98ee7020a.jpg
DRN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another of Ling Po's fabric designs #104, my favorite of the line:

https://www.google.com/search?q=taliesin+fabrics&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz8d7p_fnUAhVFxoMKHaTGBYUQ_AUICigC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=pzBIWm9FheUEyM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=taliesin+fabrics&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz8d7p_fnUAhVFxoMKHaTGBYUQ_AUICigC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=CxKcJTEf8lpVcM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=taliesin+fabrics&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz8d7p_fnUAhVFxoMKHaTGBYUQ_AUICigC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=IoTSKfyiPBgxFM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=taliesin+fabrics&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz8d7p_fnUAhVFxoMKHaTGBYUQ_AUICigC&biw=375&bih=559#imgrc=B9AZw-mAkxJlgM:
DRN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curbed article continues the misattribution of the Sorensen house to WWP; Davy Davison designed it.
This is laudable postFLW WWP house:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1621-Capital-Ave-Madison-WI-53705/55398822_zpid/
Buddycat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this house very well. It is owned by the original builder and has been maintained to perfection and to the original plans with the exception of installing glass windows on the porch. The alcove did have a piano, an upright.
I too hope that a buyer appreciates this Ling Po gem.

Buddy
Poquoson Va.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: