Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Milwaukee Art Museum exhibit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Milwaukee Art Museum exhibit Reply with quote

Photos and story at: www.wrightinracine.com

Mark Hertzberg
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the generous selection of photos of the exhibit, Mark. Your first and last images are of particular interest to me.

The Irving writing desk, daybed, and lamp "furnitecture" is a marvel. We have discussed it before. Is this the original, or a reproduction ? Either would be of equal value to me; I hadn't heard previously of a repro being created. This one appears to be in pristine condition, a bit lighter in color than previously published images.

And the lost art-glass lantern element is a new presentation. Is there a chance we could see a blow-up of that part of the piece ?

The new box made to contain and preserve an example of the Wasmuth Portfolio is a delight. The graphics, however, are concerning: I wonder who was given license to concoct a novel, Deco-period (?) typeface for Mr Wright's 1910 masterwork of architectural presentation. It is ever a challenge to manage (and often, to restrain) creativity when dealing with historic art objects ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peignot_(typeface)

"Peignot is a constructed sans-serif display typeface, designed by A. M. Cassandre in 1937. It was commissioned by the French foundry Deberny & Peignot."

SDR
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a message into the museum for answers. The exhibition catalogue notes that the Irving House piece is "Oak with reproduction wool upholstery and reproduction lamp."
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks, Mark; I look forward to an answer. This particular piece is of especial interest to those of us who pursue the accretion of individual furniture parts, and functions, into megastructure, at all scales -- thus, "furnitecture."

SDR
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the first part of the answer from Brandon Rudd, the show's curator:
"The writing desk and daybed are original, designed in 1910 by George Mann Niedecken for Wright's Irving Residence and then fabricated in 1910-11. The lamp is indeed a fairly recent reproduction, fabricated and added to the piece after it was acquired by the Layton Art Collection in 1993. This addition really does add to the overall presentation, allowing visitors to see Wright and Niedecken's original design."

He sent a closeup photo of the lamp. I am not sure how to add it to this post. I'm on a Mac. Clicking on Img. doesn't do it.

As for the box, he wrote, "The box is the original one that housed the portfolio and was part of the 2013 donation." I have messaged back to clarify if he means 1910/11 as "original" or from the donor, in light of the late date of the type font.[/img]
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Mark. Makes sense to me; I'm imagining the box dates from some time after the publication of the portfolio, and perhaps not so long ago at all. Would love to see a better photo of it, and to learn of its provenance.

I'll assume that no wooden box was produced by the publisher, at the time the portfolio was issued; I would be interested to be informed otherwise.

So, now we know that the lamp is based on Niedecken's design -- good news. (You may email me your pic(s), Mark, and I will post it/them here.)

For a long time I didn't understand that a piece was missing from the desk/daybed; then, I wondered what sort of lamp would make sense for this object. (A squat Dirk van Erp table lamp ? A wood and glass A&C tent-shade pedestal lamp ?) I take this "portmanteau" construction to be one of Mr Niedecken's most original creations, certainly of its time and not too far from Wright's level of creativity -- for me.

SDR

Last edited by SDR on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The typeface on the box reminds me of the typeface used by the Dutch magazine Wendingen that published an edition focused on Wright in ca.1925.

http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Periodic%20Images/Wendingen1925.jpg

https://hackpad-attachments.imgix.net/hackpad.com_LbIFQ5iEEpb_p.194763_1415480977489_Magazine_Wendingen_in_Art_Deco_style_cover_by_El_Lissitzky_1921_photo_4_l.jpg?fit=max&w=882

https://www.google.com/search?q=frank+lloyd+wright+wendingen&rlz=1T4LENN_enUS619US619&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja9o-VxrnVAhVk7IMKHT_1AusQ_AUICigB&biw=1287&bih=704#imgrc=_&spf=1501711248946

the 1931 Dutch exhibition of Wright's work was advertised by a poster with a related typeface:
https://rosswolfe.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/wijdeveld-was-een-groot-bewonderaar-en-onvermoeibaar-promotor-van-het-werk-van-frank-lloyd-wright-in-1925-wijdt-hij-een-nummer-van-het-tijdschrift-wendingen-aan-hem-met-een-door-hemzel.jpg?w=440&h=685
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Dan -- that's what I ought to have sought. At the very least, your examples show that the "old gold" typography on the subject Wasmuth portfolio case -- whose wood looks to be fresh and bright -- was undoubtedly influenced by that idiosyncratic work.

S
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://onmilwaukee.com/images/articles/static/flwwasmuth640.jpg

The face (font) used on the portfolio itself is a much more conventional "gothic" sans-serif one:

http://oppl.org/sites/default/files/Wasmuth_400_web.jpg

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: