Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Brandes and Griggs houses in Washington

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOman2

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Brandes and Griggs houses in Washington Reply with quote

I will be in the Seattle area this summer and was looking into at least viewing the Brandes and Griggs house in the area.
Via Google satellite I do not even see how the residents of the Brandes even get to the house (it is surrounded by trees)
Could one walk thru the ball field and somewhat see the house?
Thank you for your input/suggestions.
Here is the overview:
free photo hosting

And the Griggs house looks as if it is at the end of long driveway off 80th St SW thus un-viewable

image upload no limit
DRN

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If photos in books are not enough, they rarely are....my suggestion would be to send a handwritten letter to each address introducing yourself and requesting permission to see the house exterior. I would not ask for an interior tour...if the owner wants to offer that, be very appreciative. It helps to give the dates and time you will be in the area, so a time might be mutually agreed upon. Include your home address and your cell # in your letter so the homeowner has the option of mailing or calling you with a response, and you can be reached by the property owner during your travel to the area.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN wrote:
Include your home address and your cell # in your letter so the homeowner has the option of mailing or calling you with a response, and you can be reached by the property owner during your travel to the area.

Neither house can be viewed from the street.

If you write them include either a pre-paid postcard for response or your email address or your cell phone for a text message.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had great success gaining access to houses back in the early 80s, before FLWBC was founded. I sent a letter to the second owner of Gillin addressed simply "Homeowner," explaining that I didn't know his name. I did as DRN and Paul suggested (an enclosed self-addressed, stamped envelope; post cards so often get lost) noting when I would be in Dallas and leaving arrangements up to him. I arrived early, expecting to wait outside the gate until the owner arrived, but the gate opened automatically as I approached. Nevertheless, I parked outside.

Mr. Guerin couldn't have been more courteous, taking me throughout the house, even the massive 5,000 sf basement and Mrs.' closet. I asked about photography, noting that I would avoid anything personal in the house, and he was amenable without pause, but to ask that I not publish the photos.

Now that house tours (which have included Brandes and Griggs) are yearly events, I suspect some home owners are less inclined to open their houses, however. That was the case with Sturges for many years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: