Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

How I learned to live in a national treasure with a toddler
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRN

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that you shared that quote, Peter...Christine and I met Kevin Nakashima and his sister Mira, who continues the operation of the studio, at a gallery reception in Philadelphia on Friday night. Their cousin John is producing a documentary about George's life and work. Both are in their 70's, very personable, and down to earth.

Of note, the Nakashima studio will do restoration work on older pieces to a point, but they urge owners to understand age does come with its scars.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Nakashima piece scars probably disappear. Too bad the same can't be said for Wright's frankly minimalist Usonian furnishings -- in my view. But the patina of use is different from careless dings and gouges. And they in turn are probably inevitable, in most homes, sooner or later.

The Stollers had a Nakashima table in their rather compact dining room, which overlooked a vary tall living space which in turn provided a dark and sheltering cave beneath the dining floor. They said that the table came complete with a termite or other creature. Hard to credit -- but what can you say ?

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been to the Nakashima documentary fundraiser reception on Friday, (which had many pieces on display) we drove up to Lambertville NJ (across the river from New Hope PA) on Sunday to see the Nakashima pieces on display at Rago's for an upcoming auction....no we can't even consider purchasing this stuff, but drooling costs nothing, except for napkins. Though lots 2080-2082 are really tempting if we didn't have a heating system to fix....slatted chair backs to relate with the slatted dining/kitchen divider...mmm.

https://www.ragoarts.com/auctions/2017/05/21/modern-design

Of note, a trestle table and a set of woven grass seat chairs were well "Kevinized"...the set had been the day in, day out, dining, activity, birthday party, holiday feast, and homework spot in a home for over fifty years. It had plenty of patina, but not abuse....it wore it well and looked great.

While there, we saw a small low table from the original Sondern house construction, apparently "liberated" by Tom Monaghan's pizza fueled cornering of the Wright "collectible" market. After getting all Nakashima'd up, the Sondern table was a let down. It's fit and finish were on par with my efforts in woodshop class, and it was clear that the table was made from board and batten scraps from the house construction...the routed edges are visible on the underside. It had dents and dings and cup rings, but it told a story of a well used table built for a very modest house using construction scraps...the wood was beautiful, it would have been crime to dumpster it or burn it. This piece was sold before the auction and not in the catalog. It can be seen here:
https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/176/103422/52948778_1_m.jpg?version=1493992394

Similarly, there was a "settle" from Auldbrass (lot 2054) that looked like it was made from scraps as well. In full disclosure, the Sweeton house furniture was made from scraps too.

Given this context, I could see why Nakashima was disappointed in seeing a Wright house under construction...the framing is rather conventional and not elegant in and of itself as that of Nakashima's own home and studio is, and with furniture being made by carpenters from scraps, Nakashima's sensibilities must have been put on edge.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an A&C desk that I bought for a trice. The top is composed of solid oak boards, so no veneer problems. There are nicks and dents here and there, and one 5" long scratch. I also have a 1920s letter opener (from Paramount Pictures) which opens few letters, but covers the scratch perfectly. I would not consider "fixing" the scratch, which would cost more than I paid for the desk. But out of sight, out of mind.

If I were to fix all the imperfections in my furniture, I would have to empty most of my living room and library. (My wardrobe could use some restoration as well, but that's another story.)
SDR

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, was there an opportunity to sit on any Nakashima chair -- even the beat-up ones ?

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...at the reception if the chair was not on a platform, it could be sat upon; at Rago's all were fair game. The chairs were all quite comfortable. The grass seat chair was comfortable, but I have never seen the curved back as being a pleasing composition with the square seat; the Conoid chair was particularly comfortable, as are the New chairs; and the lounge chair and ottoman I noted earlier, I would happily sit and/or doze in for many years worth of Sundays.

I really like Nakashima's work.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks; glad to hear that. I'll look at those chairs. Can you find a pic of the lounge chair ?

I think Nakashima's furniture is compatible with the Usonians; I always liked seeing Eames's DCWs in, for instance, the Rosenbaum house, though . . .

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cushion Lounge Chair (multiple pics at link):
https://www.ragoarts.com/auctions/2017/05/21/modern-design/2081

Ottoman (multiple pics at link):
https://www.ragoarts.com/auctions/2017/05/21/modern-design/2080
SDR

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can get a sense of comfort simply by comparing profiles of unknown vs known examples:

peterm

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chair is missing the back cushion, which would, of course, increase the level of comfort substantially:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/seating/lounge-chairs/george-nakashima-lounge-chair-ottoman/id-f_545785/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: