Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Was Frank Lloyd Wright the World’s First Starchitect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Was Frank Lloyd Wright the World’s First Starchitect? Reply with quote

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/was-frank-lloyd-wright-the-worlds-first-starchitect
Reidy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanford White might also want to claim the title. His death was at least as big a scandal as the Taliesin murders.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cass Gilbert and Henry Hornbostel were also well known in their times with high profile commissions throughout the country, though I don't think they were front page news to the extent of White and Wright for their personal lives or their personalities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cass_Gilbert

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hornbostel
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: starchitect Reply with quote

My experience is that more people are familiar with the name Frank Lloyd Wright than any other architect. Like all of us know the name "Picasso" as "artist". So maybe he was the first starchitect.

The architects mentioned by DRN certainly shaped the look of architecture in the U.S. but I think of FLW as one of those that people think of immediately, that they can picture. I think it's because he used the new media of radio & television. My impression has been that, after he was front page news from 1909 to 1911 (then 1914, then with all of Miriam's press conferences, etc.), he thought he'd use the media instead of it using him to sell its newspapers.

I have never heard before that his archives had 55,000 drawings. I've heard 25,000. & even though I knew that there were more that hadn't been accounted for, I didn't think the number for uncounted drawings was 30,000.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would go to Daniel Burnham.

"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble and logical diagram once recorded will never die, but long after we are gone will be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing insistency."

If ever there was a motto for Starchitecture, that's it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: