Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Japan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Japan Reply with quote

Hello - I'll have one weekend free (this month) in Tokyo. I would appreciate any thoughts related to site seeing. Cool/ interesting buildings, historical, cultural stuff all fair game. Thank you in advance.
Wrighter

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's Wright's school, Jiyu Gakuen, which is open for tours:

http://www.jiyu.jp/tatemono/index-e.html

It's not a far walk from the correct subway stop, and there is actually pretty good signage from the subway to the school. The school is a bit out of the way, but well, well worth it. The extension across the street by Arata Endo was undergoing extensive renovation as of two years ago, so I'm not sure whether that is able to be seen or no.

If you find yourself in the right area, the Shibuya crossing is something to see and experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6EeCWytZo

The Tokyo national museum was worth the afternoon. The displayed print collection was sadly quite small, but the kimono and battle armor displays were worth the visit. It's also located in a really lovely park, and made for a beautiful early morning's walk. There is a museum devoted to the prints, but we were never able to make it over there.

If you are a theme park guy, Tokyo Disney Sea is considered by many to be one of the finest theme parks in the world. Be warned--it is quite far from the city center.

Hope that helps!
JChoate

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly Wright's Imperial Hotel is long gone, but in the new hotel on the same site there are some fragmentary rooms recreated. The "Old Imperial Bar" is worth seeing:
https://livejapan.com/en/article/a0000509/
There are other reconstructed rooms there but I forget exactly which. (Maybe a few of the guest rooms ?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: