Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Fir Tree House, Pecos, New Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conical form is merely another of Wright's beloved geometric solids, the faceted one being based on the octagon (an early-period Wright motif) and, I suspect, the iconoclast's personal version of the Victorian cone. Don't be scared -- it doesn't fly on a broom with bats and monkeys rampant . . .
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not dunce hat, but pine tree. The pine forests of the Lake Tahoe region inspired the design back in the 20s. It doesn't play quite so well in New Mexico or Indiana.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around minute mark 27:30 of the Season 4, Episode 3 High Noon, there is a picture of the house that expresses exactly what I mean: flat squatty witch hat elevation.
At minute mark 16:00 the same end of the house appears, but it seems interesting to me the difference between these two shots make. It's almost like it is not the same house.
Rood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant wrote:
Not dunce hat, but pine tree. The pine forests of the Lake Tahoe region inspired the design back in the 20s. It doesn't play quite so well in New Mexico or Indiana.

There was, when I was there, a tall pine tree growing almost out of the bottom of the cliff at Phoebe Point, along the Wisconsin River just below Taliesin, a narrow sand bar allowing a swimmer to climb up, out of the water, and walk the few feet to the cliff-side, turn around and look out across the water ... with long, sheltering branches drooping down, ending about five or six feet above the sand. I often imagined the effect must have been like the one Mr. Wright attempted to emulate in his Pine-Tree houses ... an uncanny sense of shelter from the tall, verticle cliff behind, with sloping branches spreading overhead and around, fan-like.

The pine tree was fairly large and somewhat ancient. I often wondered if Mr. Wright had ever stood against the cliff and on the sand under the tree's branches.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well judging from several wide angle on center shots looking outward and inward of the big space in the the 3minutes of Longmire Season 4 Episode 8 Hector Lives starting at minute mark 22:10, ... I'd say that association must be accurate in some sense of the truth. The exposed rafters on an angled grid and set low give that feeling of being under a big pine ... or fir, I don't know the real difference.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The huge pine growing up right next to the house is magnificent.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longmire Season 5 Episode 8
Big scenes exterior and interior of the house in this episode.
Oh - and a gunfight
"Cover me"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: