Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Staten Island Erdman Prefab "Crimson Beech"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kitchen windows look like double hung windows to boot.
I didn't realize it was brick at first.
Thought it was shake siding.
Thought it was some California 60's Esherick
or MLTW.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windows in the Erdmans are a disappointment to me, as they must have been to the architect -- I like to think. Their vertical asymmetry continues to puzzle me; that's a more serious flaw than that they are "guillotine" windows . . .

I knew a man named Fritz Wanamaker, black sheep of the Philadelphia merchant family, by his own admission. He was making nice oak culinary work-carts for the kitchen, with butcher-block tops, utensil and pot racks, etc, made in several sizes. After making and selling these rather high-end objects for a few years, he "knocked himself off," to use his term, with a lighter-weight and somewhat reduced version of the cart, to sell at a more attractive price.

I think of the Erdman Pre-fab #1 as Wright "knocking off" his own work, for those who didn't need or couldn't afford the real thing . . . in the same way, perhaps, that the ASBH structures were a reduction of the custom work of the Prairie/post-Prairie work.

Today, of course, anything from Wright's hand enjoys super-star status, quite understandably. No one, however, could mistake an Erdman for one of the custom houses of the post-war years, inside or out. The LA work in the Textile Block idiom are not of that nature, nor I think are the Usonian Automatics: neither group consists of repeated versions of a single plan; each is a unique creation.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: