Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Picturing Wright
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JChoate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting it's in Italian.
I can't quite read it either, but I keep imagining it has something to do with this (perhaps a gift from his hosts ?):

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall the third "Ed Sullivan" appearance of the Beatles in 1964. The audience was full of screaming girls, anxious to hear them, but first came a performance by the legendary Cab Calloway singing "Minnie The Moocher." The giddy girls were completely perplexed; they had no idea who this old (56) man was, even though there's an argument to be made that without the likes of Calloway (and Ethel Waters), the history of popular music would have been so different that the Beatles might never have evolved. Calloway's performance of "St. James Infirmary Blues" is one of the greatest recordings of all times.
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Oar Lock Reply with quote

My understanding was that FLW picked it up when he visited Italy with the "60 Years of Living Architecture" exhibit in 1951 (somewhere along the line I came to know that it was through students of Carlo Scarpa). The carving on the base of the Oar Lock says, "GLI. STUDENT ARCHITTECTI DI VENEZIA IL 22.6.1951".
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gli, in Italian, is "the."

S
JChoate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ran across this photo by Alan Weintraub (in "Prairie Houses"). It shows more fully the musical instrument about which SDR inquired.
The crack in the plaster to the right of the oarlock is unfortunate, presumably now repaired(?)

SDR

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. A harmonium -- and a T-square in the usual pattern, like the ones we all had at one time, before the parallel edge replaced them ? And the blessed oarlock, looking like Noguchi or maybe Brancusi . . .

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: