Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wood finish recommendations for a wood clad FLW House
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Ipe comes in 30 species. It's also from South America, which undoubtedly adds to the expense.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houses made entirely of teak are common, apparently, where the wood grows. Like the common Ipe that's sold here, it has grit in the wood which dulls tooling more rapidly than other woods. I assume that "sand" is drawn up into the tree along with water from the ground.

Teak would make an excellent cladding, I imagine. I've forgotten what I've been told about when and why Scandinavian furniture-makers added teak to their palette . . .

SDR
Mod mom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just purchased a lot of wood, we learned something from the deliverymen that we never knew, and I thought I'd share. In purchasing plywood for the entire house, we wanted wood from a single source and top grade (don't like knotty plywood). Previously I mentioned we were unable to acquire Douglas Fir in the quantity we needed and the grade we wanted, so we went with birch, which we learned from our previous house darkens to a warmer, deeper tone with age. Anyway, our birch was from Spain and the driver informed us that raw material is loaded on board a ship and the boards are manufactured into plywood as it crosses the ocean. We never knew this, before.

Also, I'm using a beeswax/mineral oil product to seal my soapstone and discovered it is meant to seal wood (as in salad bowls). I just used it on a hand carved platter that we purchased from a Shaker Village that we stayed at in Kentucky. Would a product like this is a good solution for sealing exterior wood? I used food grade, but for that use it wouldn't matter.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mod mom. The answer to your question is "probably not." Waxes are typically vulnerable to water infiltration; you've seen water rings on furniture, I'm sure. (One old remedy for these is the application of mayonnaise or other oils, to displace the trapped moisture.)

If the addition of mineral oil somehow changes the equation so that moisture cannot penetrate, very well. Let us know what experimentation reveals . . .

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: