Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Herbert Jacobs House 2 ( Solar Hemicycle )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaga2b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Herbert Jacobs House 2 ( Solar Hemicycle ) Reply with quote

In the framework of my architecture studies, I'm working on Herbert Jacobs House 2 built by Wright and I would need some accurate and understandable informations (plans, sections).
Indeed, though the subject was already tackle on the forum, the original documents made by Wright are hardly legible. If you have bibliographical references to give me about this house, that would be great!

Thank you in advance for your help, I'm desperate.
Sequoia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbert Jacobs wrote an excellent book about building and living in both his Wright designed homes. This would be a great starting point for your research.
Rood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Herbert Jacobs House 2 ( Solar Hemicycle ) Reply with quote

gaga2b wrote:
In the framework of my architecture studies, I'm working on Herbert Jacobs House 2 built by Wright and I would need some accurate and understandable informations (plans, sections).
Indeed, though the subject was already tackle(d) on the forum, the original documents made by Wright are hardly legible. If you have bibliographical references to give me about this house, that would be great!

Thank you in advance for your help, I'm desperate.

Agree with Sequoia. Get a copy of Building With Frank Lloyd Wright: An Illustrated Memoir, by Herbert and Katherine Jacobs: Chronicle Books c. 1978 ISBN 0-877010126-5. There you will discover Mr. Wright disowned the Jacobs family just as the house began construction, and he didn't see it until it was all but finished. To be absolutely precise about it, Mr. Wright designed the house, yes, but the house was built without his direct participation.

For plans and elevations see WRIGHT: 1943-1959: TASCHEN, c. 2009 pp. 52-55 and/or Frank Lloyd Wright Monograph: 1942-1950 c. 1988. ADA Edita: Tokyo. pp 86-93
TroyTodd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Herbert Jacobs House 2 ( Solar Hemicycle ) Reply with quote

gaga2b wrote:
In the framework of my solar panel studies, I'm working on Herbert Jacobs House 2 built by Wright and I would need some accurate and understandable informations (plans, sections).
Indeed, though the subject was already tackle on the forum, the original documents made by Wright are hardly legible. If you have bibliographical references to give me about this house, that would be great!

Thank you in advance for your help, I'm desperate

Hello friend were you able to find the right documents..Even I am searching for similar information hope you can help me out seriously..

Last edited by TroyTodd on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total
ScottCLE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rood and Sequoia are both correct about the Jacobs book. It would be a huge help for you. Take a look on Amazon. I was able to find quite a few copies there. I purchased a used copy for $1.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Frank-Lloyd-Wright-Illustrated/dp/0809312913/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385815478&sr=8-1&keywords=jacobs+wright
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A found this aerial photo of Jacobs II recently and thought I'd share it...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cb/a2/27/cba2270f77f349e1b6d63415548833e5.jpg

The picture would appear to be from the 1940's and shows the juxtaposition of the main house and the Jacobs' "barn" which was Wrightified by the addition of some fascia extensions.
EJ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in this house twice. Not my favorite FLW, but its an interesting concept. The owners have opened it up to tours via the annual Wright in Wisconsin event, and may be open to talking to you. They seemed like very nice people.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your recollections; what most struck you or stayed in your mind afterward . . . ?

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem with Jacobs II is the difficulty furnishing such a large space as the living room, a minimalist arrangement of rough stone and rough wood. It's cave-like. Any sort of refined furniture would look out of place. A farmer, lumbering home after plowing the north 40 with a mule, should feel perfectly comfortable in that space. Marie Antoinette, not so much.

When I saw the house, the owners had so much stuff, it impeded moving about. Here, truly, "Less Is More" rules.
EJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, the thing I remember most is the feeling that I was in a cave with a low wood ceiling. Roderick is correct...the curved living room is a bit awkward, large and less is more would be more effective. The kitchen is beautiful...perhaps the best FLW kitchen I've ever seen. The upstairs was off limits.

There was just too much stone for my tastes. I like it as a flavoring, not the main course. Reasonable minds can differ on that, but even with the wall of windows, it was kind of dark and gray.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: