Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Need an arch. to design my house
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glovetron@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Need an arch. to design my house Reply with quote

Hi:

I live in Houston and am looking for an arch. to design my house FLW style. Anyone know of one?

Thanks,

Kim
BenK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Architect Reply with quote

I would check with the Taliesin Architects. They have original unbuilt Frank Lloyd Wright Plans. WOuld be cool to say you have a wright original.
jackmax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, it's not considered a Wright original unless it is built on the site it was planned for.
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackmax wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, it's not considered a Wright original unless it is built on the site it was planned for.

Well, Mr. Wright spoke often of this being his process, but he often broke his own rules on this and many other matters. He often allowed his instinct to override his dogma.

There are many designs that he created for one location and when the project fell through, he reused the design for something else (admittedly, he usually modified it in some way).

Some of his designs were specifically made to be built in numerous places. The Price Tower ( a perfect example of a reused design: originally made for St.Mark's Place in Manhattan in slightly different form) was part of his idea for Broadacre City. If you look at the model of Broadacre City you'll see little "Price Towers" all over the place.

Of course, he also dabbled in modular, pre-fabricated housing, as well.

Either way, a Frank Lloyd Wright original is a Frank Lloyd Wright original. However, at this point, the idea of a *new* FLlW Original building is pretty much moot. It's unlikely that building codes would even allow for it at any price. Not to mention modern ammenities...Or any changes Mr. Wright might've made during construction if he was around while a home was being built.

He's been quoted as saying that the architect's most useful tools are the eraser in the drafting room and the wrecking bar at the building site.

Take care,

Jon
Madeline

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

You won
JimM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, is Madeline right on the mark.

If you want a FLLW "style" house, find a good local architect whose work appeals to you and appears to embody his principles-and don't be afraid to say how much you admire Wright. This is not hard if you can refrain from thinking it has to "look" r(wr)ight (which without exception is some perversion of the "prairie house").

If you do want over-wrought regurgitated copies, yes, there are any number of architects and developers at the ready to give you that.

If you have the money, go to Bart Prince for a truly original and organic building.
Jon Autry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madeline wrote:
Jon,

You won
Jon Autry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madeline wrote:
Jon,

You won
tsutton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Wright like houses Reply with quote

Take a look at my site "usonianredhouse.com". Yes it is possible to build a Usonian house fifty years after the invention. Not interested in being anyone's architect other than mine. Cypress is not an endangered species. Craftsmenaship is not dead. The machine has become a flexible tool to product one of a kind anything by way of the computer.
Madeline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your house is truly one of the best examples of a modern Usonian that I have ever seen. Finally, someone who at least can grasp the details and incorporate them in a design. The Taliesin boys should take notice. They should also feel somewhat embarrassed since they have been outdone by a non-Taliesin trained architect.

But as many people have said in the past. It is clearly NOT as good as a genuine FLW design. And here is my opinion as to why:

1. House contains no
KevinW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like a back handed compliment from the "experts"
usonian1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: usonian house critique? Reply with quote

touch
dkottum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Usonian Red House Reply with quote

Madeline, the 10 points that you use to criticize Tim Sutton's wonderful Usonian Red House have all been violated by FLLW himself, in his own Usonians. Perhaps there must be a distinction made between a Usonian house, and a FLLW house. For example, Usonia at Pleasantville, New York has both, side-by-side, and most were either designed or approved by FLLW. A better and quite complete prescription for a Usonian House may be found in "The Natural House" by FLLW. Mr. Sutton's Usonian is a near perfect realization of this great idea, is wonderful to see, and is beautifully crafted.

There are some of us fools out here who believe that the legacy of Mr. Wright is more than his built work, writings, and art. But it is also an Idea that is available to anyone with the courage and ambition to discover that Idea, and realize it in their own homes and lives. I am one of those fools and have a Usonian house project of my own going on. Mr. Sutton has invented ways to deal with technical problems of Usonian house construction, and has been helpful to me in my own project. I am grateful for his help.

Am enjoying these recent discussions a great deal, and they have brought some very fine people into the fray. Even a couple of artists. The criticisms of those who have been engaged in actual work, by those who are perhaps only watching, seem harsh at times. But that is among the risks of doing creative work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not taking sides here. But I must respond to your comment on the New York Usonia project.

I have been to the Usonia houses in Pleasantville New York. I have a few friends that actually live in some of the houses and I have personally been inside many of the houses. I don
dkottum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Pleasantvillle and Usonia Reply with quote

Refering to the Pleasantville Usonians, it is "Usonia, New York" that indicates FLLW approved most of the homes built there. Check page 31 and 83. But that is another topic. And so is the debate whether anyone can ever design a house with the magic or karma or whatever of FLLW. The point here is that a Usonian home does not have to be designed by FLLW. He gave us the prescription, and a number of beautiful examples. It is not for everyone to build nor design, as it requires individuals with a high level of understanding of the concept, and Organic Architecture. The concept is best expressed as a very small home, that may be enlarged. Probably not for the shopping mall crowd, more likely for the lover of the arts. Mr. Sutton's Usonian Red House is a beautifully crafted example. It is of masonry, wood, and glass (and hidden steel). And it is of today's world. Let's admire what he has done, and learn something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: