Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Rose and Gertrude Pauson house
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 84, 85, 86  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reidy wrote:
Does anyone know if the first design was for the lot they eventually built on?

I was just reading the Taschen Mono on Wiley and, yes, both designs were for the same piece of property.

David
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palli Davis Holubar provides fresh evidence in re the gallery perfs. The question of the moment: Were the gallery perfs designed to open ? Mr Wright seems to indicate, in reply to apprentice query (?), that they should . . .

(Note that, at this point in the game, far fewer perfs are contemplated than the final design provided. Here the apprentice is trying to get clarity, as well, on the vertical position of the perfs -- which seem to have been drawn two different ways. Wright apparently opts for eye level, judging by the scribbled-in second set on the right . . . ?)

SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been almost 2 years since last post. Time to unleash "Pauson -- the Movie" . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDL0FGC8Vio

Anyone who can identify all the persons shown in this 58-second classic gets the Brass Figligie with Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster . . .

SDR
Unbrook

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Pauson House Reply with quote

I am never good at names, but I did notice roll-up shades in the living room windows, not the draperies that allegedly caught fire and were responsible for the destruction of the house.
DRN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film appears to have been made the same day as some color photos earlier in this thread. Rose Pauson is wearing the red print dress with the white belt. I'll assume Gertrude Pauson is also in the first scene, but I don't know for sure if she is the woman wearing the light colored suit.

The AZ Biltmore and the Wrigley mansion are visible in the distance later in the film, as are the as yet untouched sites for the Adelman and Boomer houses. Given the sun angle, the time of day appears to be mid to late morning.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That's worth at least 2/3 of an Oak Cluster.

Who's the young man in the last 1/3 of the film ? A Pauson nephew ? An over-dressed and enthusiastic apprentice ? A cub reporter ?

Anyone else on the roll-up shades ?

SDR

Last edited by SDR on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DavidC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could they have had shades on one side and drapes elsewhere?

It's interesting to note at 0:30 (where the camera angle makes it look like a suguaro cactus is supporting the cantilevered deck end) that the 'nail stains' on the siding are very evident.

What an absolultey fantastic home - can never get enough of Pauson! Thanks for posting this!

David
Rood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprises me is the apparent access road curving up the hill towards the southeast corner of the house. It's visible at the very beginning of the film. The film must have been taken soon after construction, as I don't recall seeing the road in any other photographs or films. Perhaps it was obliterated later on .. and planted over.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh -- and, I just noticed, the kitchen in this ship-of-the-desert is labeled "Galley" on the drawings. Add that to "Workspace" and "Laboratory."

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A frame from the trailer for a film about fashion editor Diana Vreeland:

Wright's sense of scale is always a surprise; where most buildings seem to surprise first-time visitors by being smaller than expected, this house seems bigger than one thinks it will be, from looking at unpopulated photos.

Or maybe the model here is tiny ?

The stones in the desert masonry are perhaps more plentiful, per square yard, than in most other examples, including at T West itself ?

The redwood has been bleached by the sun, and the nails have begun the rusting-and-staining process. The house is probably not very far from its sudden demise, when this undated photo was taken.

Or could we determine the approximate date of photography if we knew which issue, of which magazine, contained the photo . . . ?

SDR
Rood

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "model" is Diana Vreeland, but who knows how tall she was. Five-foot two, perhaps?
SDR

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, Quite so. See this page:

http://news.fitnyc.edu/2016/03/03/exhibition-the-women-of-harpers-bazaar-1936-1958/

"Behind-the-scenes photographs and alternate images from the famous 1942 Arizona desert photo shoot at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Pauson house—styled by Vreeland—will illustrate the shared creative process that took place when Vreeland stepped in as the model after Bijou Barrington fell ill from heat stroke. A pair of thick-framed Claire McCardell sunglasses will evoke the warm, summer attitude portrayed on the resulting cover image."

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/building-the-pauson-house-allan-wright-green/1112168569

"On April 11, 1943, in the desert hills of Phoenix, Arizona, Frank Lloyd Wright's Pauson House burned to the ground."

Most sources have given the year of the fire as 1942 . . .

SDR
Rood

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
A frame from the trailer for a film about fashion editor Diana Vreeland:
The stones in the desert masonry are perhaps more plentiful, per square yard, than in most other examples, including at T West itself ? SDR

Sometime in the late 60's Don Kalec and I went to see George Ellis, the contractor who built the Pauson House, at his home in Scottsdale. Though it was about 30 years after he built the house, Ellis was still miffed over the fact that Mr. Wright promised him the "Fellows" residing at Taliesin West that summer would help build the house, when in fact he claimed to have seen little of them. Perhaps their absence might account for the differences in the quality of the masonry walls.

Of course Ellis had a bit of a temper. Ellis lent Don several photographs from his collection with the promising that they would be returned, once Don made copies. However, one day, a month or two after our meeting, Ellis barged into the office at Taliesin West, demanding the return of his photographs. I calmed him down a bit, called Don ... and after a bit, Ellis finally left, photographs in hand.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that there are 80 pages of Pauson, a look back should provide all the information needed to measure the width of the boards and calculate the height of the model.
David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day I was searching information on the Internet related to the Pauson house when I found this extensive thread which I found fascinating and read hooked as if it were a mystery novel.

So now I am pleased to be able to contribute to this honorable thread:

More images here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143771393@N04/albums/72157676653742835

And information about the project here:

http://www.hookedonthepast.com/pauson-house-part-i/

Last edited by David on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 80 of 86

Jump to: