Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Article: Haynes House owner seeks de-listing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SREcklund

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
In the listing for the Bernard Schwartz residence, we are told that Wright considered the LA block houses to be Usonian. Did we know that ?

I don't know that anyone beyond Storrer knew that ... :-/

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Reidy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the observation that Freeman was his first permanent residence (not a vacation house) to integrate dining room and kitchen, as the Usonians did.

If Wright himself said that these houses were Usonian, this could have been because the method was an (unsuccessful) attempt to cut costs.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeman has an unusual octagonal table (?) separating/connecting kitchen with living room, as shown (at least) in Storrer's plan. Can someone elucidate that arrangement for me ?

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20s block houses were called "knit block." The Usonian appellation most likely came retroactively much later on.

The original divider between Freeman living room and kitchen was made up of cabinets with wood-framed glass doors opening into both rooms, a pintle-hinged glass and wood door, and between these two sections, a 27"-high octagonal table, 38" across, built in with glazed panels shutting it off from the living room. It was intended that Harriett sit in the kitchen and Sam sit in the living room, presumably with the panels open. Both Sam and Harriett, on separate occasions, told me the arrangement was awkward, with too little leg room, and that they had Schindler remodel the area completely early on, cutting down the table to coffee table height, replacing the glazed paneled cabinet doors with solid wood, and designing a long, low, multiuse table for the living room. The lowered table can be seen in many photographs; it is still with the house. In the 50s, the kitchen was redesigned by former apprentice Bob Clark in a very 50s manner.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I wouldn't expect Mr Wright to have invented the term Usonian in the 'twenties and then sat on it for a decade -- but it wouldn't surprise me to see him extending the use of his new word, once devised, backward in time to cover some earlier work. Nor would it surprise me to find others putting words in his mouth . . . !

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relative to moving a Usonian:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/frank-lloyd-wright-home-deconstructed-moved-pa-minnesota/

From the article emphasis added by DRN:
Quote:
The McKinneys eventually donated the home to Usonian Property Inc., a nonprofit group linked to Polymath Park. The Lindholm House will join three other houses at the park, including Wright's Duncan House and two houses designed by his apprentice, Peter Berndtson.

Just sayin'...
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dreaming' . . . ? Bold, underlined and italicized -- I didn't know you could do that !

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pointing out that the McKinney's saw the preservation of the house as more important than the quest for a dollar. When it was determined the house would not sell to a preservation minded buyer, even when subdivided from the acreage, they were willing to donate the house such that its recreation elsewhere would be financially viable.

Still I believe Haynes is a different case and is more viable as a house where it is, if it were to be marketed reasonably.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought maybe you were fancying that the owner of Haynes might donate the house. Fat chance of that ?

I still can't imagine Haynes being moved intact, in toto -- thought I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, I suppose it should be noted economic differences are in play...the McKinney's probably inherited the Lindholm house and may be settling an estate, whereas RJH purchased Haynes. The Lindholm site is, due to its much larger size and situation on a major arterial, more salable in the current state of regional sprawl as clear acreage than it is with a historic house on it, which is possibly in a position not ideal for logical subdivision into efficient commercial lots. The Haynes house is on a much smaller residential lot, that is near enough to commercial development to make for convienient, possibly less car dependent living, but it is not immediately adjacent to it, such that commercial development opportunities are nil even if local zoning were to allow it. Further, that small distance makes Haynes more attractive than Lindholm as a place to live to a potential homebuyer as the lights, noise, and smells of commerce are not at the house's doorstep as they might have been with a subdivided Lindholm.

Though I would have liked to see Lindholm stay in place, I understand why the situation worked out as it has. I would like to see Haynes stay where it is and continue to be a private home...hopefully the home for a Wright enthusiast with the means and fortitude to sensitively keep it in good, reasonably authentic condition.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The city interactive map is easy to find online. The site is west of downtown and within the Interstate.

See p 4 for a larger version of the Google aerial.

SDR
SREcklund

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it on a flatbed and I'll reassemble it in my back yard - like Lincoln Logs, only bigger ... Very Happy

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of bubble-wrap, and helium balloons. Heck, take it to the UPS store and let them handle it . . .

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of repeating myself, problems with the site (if there are any) could easily be remedied by thoughtful landscaping. Personally, I would want to block the view of the neighboring house at the corner of Washington Road and Ardmere... The large, flat expanse of grass with that one row of junipers is rather uninspired. But the lot doesn't seem too small, especially when compared to the neighboring houses on the other side of Washington Road.

Nothing against the white (Cape Cod...esque?) house in the background, but wouldn't one want to create a more private, natural park like setting to better frame the house? http://wikimapia.org/19749473/John-D-Haynes-House
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

article
http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/longform/frank-lloyd-wright/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: