Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Goetsch-Winckler Photos-New Albums Posted
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Audrey

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Goetsch-Winckler Photos-New Albums Posted Reply with quote

I'm continuing to post new photo albums on both the Goetsch-Winckler Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/The-Goetsch-Winckler-House-1684255125149524/

and Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14960965@N08/albums

Albums are the same on both sites and are open to public viewing. Enjoy!

Audrey
SDR

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Audrey; it's always a pleasure to see photos of your house -- and here there are many of rooms previously unseen. The photos of studio, alcove, and bedrooms are all just wonderful to see. Even the realtor's photos reveal new views and details.

The restored woodwork at the bathtub shows that water-distressed wood can be beautifully refinished. I'm a bit puzzled by your note at the kitchen, "two-toned wood staining originally found throughout the house." Can you elaborate ?

There are a couple of furniture pieces previously unpublished, I believe, including an nice little side table in your guest room. Most interesting ! No one has previously seen the batten screws as meant to provide access; there isn't much to be seen behind the boards, I'd say. But I bet the screws came in handy when the Pope house was dismantled for moving -- twice !

The exterior paint is a nice color -- or colors, perhaps I should say, as the tone varies considerably with lighting, time of day, and season ? The house is looking grand, inside and out.

Keep up the good work, and please keep the images coming !

Best to you -- SDR
pharding

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting the photos. GW is a great, great house. It is simply amazing.
pharding

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally the house was stained with one stain color. The faded look at the fascia is typical of stained exterior woodwork which would fade at a faster rate than the siding.
Audrey

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE "two-toned" wood in kitchen: In early B/W photos of the interior, including some from Life magazine or Getty images, small sections of the bases of the built in desk and dining tables appear lighter, as do the battens on the wall and areas of the kitchen cabinets.
Someone from Taliesin West who worked on the kitchen restoration with the former owner said he was happy she had chosen to bring back the two-toned wood. Sections of the restored cabinets are very slightly lighter when viewed in person.

RE screws to remove the board and batten walls: Our contractor successfully utilized this feature for running additional electrical outlets without exposed conduit, and maybe plumbing repairs.

As to what's behind the walls...after 75 years I'm not sure I want to know, but the next time someone removes a section I'll be sure to take a photo.
DRN

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audrey, G-W is looking better than it has in decades under your care.
Your point that the previous painting or opaque staining in a single tone or color masked the subtle differentiation of the original wood tones and colors of different species is well taken. When total refinishing of the wood is not practical or possible, what you have done seems a reasonable alternative.

Thanks so much for sharing such comprehensive photos of your efforts...I never seem to tire of looking at G-W house pics.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Audrey. I'm glad you pointed to early photos, like the original Leavenworth Photographics images (plates 23, 24 and 25) in "Affordable Dreams." I had not focused on the color variations in the casework and furniture before.

The early photos of the GW furniture and kitchen cabinetry show signs of a mixture of woods -- an unusual choice in Usonian interiors. The tables have a lower cross-member that is light enough in color to suggest maple or perhaps birch. The tops of the tables, edged in darker wood, could also be birch. I assume the darker woods of the tables and other interior pieces are redwood, to match the walls and other visible woodwork -- Wright's usual choice. I believe the architect expected carpentry and millwork to be accomplished with more-or-less carefully selected members; no stain was to be applied.

Pine would be a very unusual choice for sash, found only on the most cut-rate Usonian. I wonder what other species might have resulted in the lighter color seen in early photos. Fir would be a likely candidate, perhaps. All these woods would be expected to fade into gray, eventually, unless oiled (Wright's only permitted exterior finish; interior surfaces might be waxed).

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood specie is most reliably determined by inspection of the end grain. By shaving any paint from the top of a window or door stile (the vertical stick on a sash, as opposed to the horizontal rails) one could observe the nature of the end grain of the wood used to make the sash.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/softwood-anatomy/

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first-built Usonian, Jacobs I, used a mix of pine boards and redwood battens for the most stark color contrast of them all, though it didn't take long for FLW to abandon that practice.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I love the early photos of the house for that reason. Even today, under a unifying warm stain, the difference in color can be seen. It's a grand effect, replicated of course on the interior, and on the ceilings, too. A very rich little "bungalow" (an early visitor's term, according to Katherine).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_and_Katherine_Jacobs_First_House

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a bicycle (through Amazon) from an outfit in Okemos, and I spoke to someone on the phone there. I asked about the pronunciation of the town's name and learned that it is OH-ke-mos -- or OH-kee-mos -- like a Japanese name, I suppose.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How had you been pronouncing it? oh-KEE-mos?

At your age, aren't those Frisco hills a bit of a challenge for a bike?
jmcnally

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Okemos trips you up, you'll have no chance with Orion, Charlevoix, Mackinac, or Gratiot. Those are the names that we use to trip up new TV newscasters from other states,
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah ! I can only imagine. In the east it's Quinzy, here it's Quincy; clabbord there and clapboard here -- the list goes on.

I'll post my bikes next; yes, with gears, most SF hills can be overcome (or at least attacked) !

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this belongs on Facebook; my apologies.

2009 Downtube mini (lost to theft); 2016 Dahon D3 (coming). Both bikes have 16" (tires) and internal-shifting rear hubs . . .

Sorry about the colors -- the manufacturer's sole offering, in both cases !

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: