Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

new book on John Howe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: new book on John Howe Reply with quote

http://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/john-h-howe-architect

shipping 7/22/15

HT: Eric S.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through the book, now, scoping out the images and reading their captions. I wonder if book editors would look more closely at these mini-texts if they were made aware of the percentage of browsers who, like me, "graze" for the low-hanging fruit before diving into the substance. In this case, some surprisingly vague information is imparted in the image captions of this important new publication -- at least in the first half of the story, where architect Howe is still Apprentice Howe.

In his foreword to the book, Wright's arguably most faithful fellow, Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer, makes a surprising statement: "Without his cadre of skilled draftsmen, the great work of Frank Lloyd Wright from 1932 to 1959 would never have been accomplished." It's hard to argue with that -- and it's pretty clear that Jack Howe led the pack, literally and figuratively, in making Wright's case via two-dimensional media.

SDR

Surprisingly, Mr Pfeiffer has no Wikipedia page . . .
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One amusing note: architect and co-author Tim Quigley refers repeatedly to the "three-point perspectives" which Wright taught the young Howe to lay out, and which he or others used endlessly in the drafting rooms of the later Taliesins. In fact, very few three-point perspectives are found among the drawings; virtually all of the house views we see among the presentation drawings are simpler (and perfectly adequate) two-point perspectives . . .

Quigley quotes an apprentice on Olgivanna: "Mrs Wright made life unbearable for married couples, particularly the women." He writes, "As a strong-willed manipulator, Olgivanna resented that Fellowship spouses, such as Lu [Howe], did not look to her for their primary loyalty." "She endeavored to be a third party to every relationship in the Fellowship," wrote [Kamal] Amin. "She needed to be in total control of all situations," he continued, thriving on conflict she intentionally created and making sure that "everyone had to feel guilty about something."

Quigley says that Jack and Lu made a pact not to let the woman come between them; like Wes and Svetlana, they moved off the Taleisin grounds as soon as they could (following their November 1951 marriage). Howe bought land from Wes, across the valley from Taliesin (and with a terrific view), and built a "Wrightian version of an English cottage," called Inwood -- but not before expanding the one-room cabana at Taliesin West which Howe had built for himself in 1948.

SDR
Davion94

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!I like your post!!
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing Inwood for sale a few years ago. Someone had replaced the wooden kitchen cabinets with white formica.

The George and Norma Johnson House (1963, pg 118-122) was recently sold (July 30, 2015, $1.875M). It is at 755 Tonkawa Road, Orono, MN on Lake Minnetonka.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/755-Tonkawa-Rd_Orono_MN_55356_M81309-66119

This book is also a history of the Taliesin Fellows as Jack was there from the beginning until 5 years after the end.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is as good a place as any for this link to the online Howe renderings at UMinn:

https://umedia.lib.umn.edu/taxonomy/term/717
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently saw the traveling SAMARA exhibit that has made its way to Mason City.

It was very obvious that the elevation drawing (1954) was done by John Howe.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been enjoying Hession and Quigley's John Howe book.
In the book is a rendering for a house Howe designed in 1962 for a client named Byron Harrell in Vermillion, SD. The roof eaves have a distinctive serrated profile that I found interesting and unique. I Google'd Harrell and Vermillion, SD and found a link to slides of the built house on a state historical society website:

http://sddigitalarchives.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/searchterm/Harrell

Further Googleling and Google Mapping came up with an address:

1215 Valley View Dr Vermillion, SD

In Google Earth, the house appears as a white roof with serrated edges at the NE end of a very short east/west cul-de-sac. It would appear the "Solar Annex" Howe designed in 1974 that was listed in his online renderings and papers (linked in my earlier post) was built.

perspective:
https://umedia.lib.umn.edu/node/86529

floor plan:
https://umedia.lib.umn.edu/node/86528

solar annex:
https://umedia.lib.umn.edu/node/86530
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: