Pattern books?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

Paul Ringstrom wrote:and also DeRhodes...
http://transformationsandwhispers.blogs ... go-to.html
As a kit house, you'd think there'd be a few examples "out there".

Know of any other Prairie kit or pattern book designs?

Forest

Post by Forest »

Sears offered two models in 1918, anybody recognize these? Apparently none were sold, or the locations would be noted on the page.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Forest. I Googled "Sears Aurora" and found this:

http://www.sears-homes.com/2012/05/sear ... chool.html

Montgomery Ward No 152: http://wardwayhomes.com/blog/tag/sears-prefab-houses/

SDR

kinners

Kit houses/pattern books

Post by kinners »

Hi, I can't think of a good Prairie style example from the plan books I've seen. I don't think they sold well.

Lara
Sears Homes of Chicagoland

kinners

Post by kinners »

The Gordon-Van Tine kit house number 2617 was only built once (at least that we know of to date). 605 East Washington St. Eustis, FL.

The Sears Aurora and Carlton kit houses were plans licensed from John Van Bergen and offered one year by Sears (1918). (Thanks for the link, SDR!) One Aurora was located at 6416 Grand Vista Ave Cincinnati, OH. No Carltons have ever been identified.

The kit house from Harris Brothers, No. 152D, that SDR linked to is located at 312 13th Street in Pleasanton, KS.

Lara
sears-homes.com

kinners

Post by kinners »

Sorry, one more thing... if you're interested to know some of the architects who designed the standard Sears house plans, here is what I compiled. Some big names on that list!

http://www.sears-homes.com/2014/03/the- ... homes.html

Lara

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

kinners wrote:The Gordon-Van Tine kit house number 2617 was only built once (at least that we know of to date). 605 East Washington St. Eustis, FL.
There's at least one more example of the 2617 house:

I found this small picture in my files, and can't remember where I found it.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I wonder if that band of six sash on the second floor is shared by two or more rooms -- as Wright might have done. And I wonder if the copyist and the manufacturer would have taken any counsel from Wright's first-floor space allocation . . .

SDR

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

Two more prairie-ish houses in my town, another Google Maps screenshot:

The area is a ghetto now, it seems unlikely that the one on the left will be saved. The one on the right appears to be mostly just a foursquare with a dressed up front elevation and some nice fenestration. It seems probable to me that these are both pattern book houses.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Interesting. The one on the right is a curiosity -- a Prairie foursquare with a Craftsman bungalow porch ? The trim details fit both types, illustrating what Wright would never countenance, namely the affinity of the two strains.

The house on the left is even more unusual, isn't it; would anyone have committed that combination of first-floor openings to paper, in a catalog ? What would they have called it ?

As to the pair, is it only in America that we have these cheek-by-jowl juxtapositions of styles ? San Francisco is a virtual riot of like variety.

SDR

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

SDR wrote:

The house on the left is even more unusual, isn't it; would anyone have committed that combination of first-floor openings to paper, in a catalog ? What would they have called it ?
For lack of a better term, I call the one on the left "Gothic Prairie", it seems to borrow some detail elements from church design.
SDR wrote:

Interesting. The one on the right is a curiosity -- a Prairie foursquare with a Craftsman bungalow porch ? The trim details fit both types, illustrating what Wright would never countenance, namely the affinity of the two strains.

I can't imagine that an architect would have committed either of these mishmash designs to paper as seen here, from which I speculate that perhaps the builder started with published plans and then improvised.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, that makes sense. Many a builder fancies himself a designer, for better or worse. And many a client has insisted on novel combinations of elements, too,
I suspect. The window muntin pattern, not dissimilar to ones used by Wright and by W B Griffin, also bridges the Craftsman/Prairie divide ?

Ecclesiastical, yes -- but maybe not Gothic ? The round arch and the brick-masonry suggest Romanesque to me . . .

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

kinners wrote:The Gordon-Van Tine kit house number 2617 was only built once (at least that we know of to date). 605 East Washington St. Eustis, FL.

The Sears Aurora and Carlton kit houses were plans licensed from John Van Bergen and offered one year by Sears (1918). (Thanks for the link, SDR!) One Aurora was located at 6416 Grand Vista Ave Cincinnati, OH. No Carltons have ever been identified.

The kit house from Harris Brothers, No. 152D, that SDR linked to is located at 312 13th Street in Pleasanton, KS.

Lara
sears-homes.com
Kinners,
Have you ever found floor plans the the two Sears VanBergen houses? They are not in the book on Sears houses that I have.

Thanks
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Paul, the Van Bergen Skillen House plan is published in H. Allen Brooks' "Prairie School Architecture." page 258.

SDR

Post by SDR »

To wit: