Pattern books?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
clydethecat

Pattern books?

Post by clydethecat »

Did any of the Prairie School architects ever allow their work to appear in pattern books?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Good question. One might have to prowl the dusty stacks of a large and unculled city library collection to find the pattern books that would answer that one . . .

One finds this sort of thing online, now:

http://www.classicist.org/workspace/pdf ... ecture.pdf

http://www.prairietrailankeny.com/wp-co ... uction.pdf

http://www.prairietrailankeny.com/wp-co ... tterns.pdf

Insipid, characterless, "safe" recipes for replication of past residential styles -- in the service of a New Suburbanism ? The last one above cites "painted brick" as one of the ingredients of the Craftsman style . . .

Not !

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Hermann Valentin Von Holst wrote "Country and Suburban Homes of the Pairie School Period" in 1913. Not exactly a pattern book, it's more of a history of the style. The only FLW houses included (on one page) are one image each of Hickox, Ch. E. Brown, Isabel Roberts and Willits, plus the Tallmadge & Watson Elias V. Day House in River Forest which FLW remodeled for a subsequent owner after a fire. There are also some WBG and T&W houses represented, as well a church by MMG and a house by himself.

SDR

Post by SDR »

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/country ... 0486158549

I've enjoyed my copy. Spencer & Powers, Henry K Holsman, Tallmadge & Watson, Charles E White, Jr, Lawrence Buck, early California bungalows, and even some garages including a couple that could be the work of the brothers Greene. Lots of line drawings: elevations, sections, plans.

SDR

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The librarian at the Oak Park Home & Studio might be able to help you. wrightplus.org.

SDR

Post by SDR »

A favorite image from von Holst's book . . .

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

I have the von Holst book on the Dover imprint.

It's not really a pattern book as such, more like a compendium of articles from home magazines.

I was just wondering if there was a known source for the sorts of Prairie, prairie-lite, and prairie-ish homes you sometimes see in A&C neighborhoods outside the areas where the main Prairie School architects worked. Since most of the bungalows and foursquares in these kinds of neighborhoods either came from pattern books or kits, I figured there must have been some published Prairie designs too?

That Cooper house is an attractive little bungalow.

SDR

Post by SDR »

How about the pre-cut homes that Sears Roebuck sold for years ? I would expect to find all popular American styles represented . . .

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Hmm . . . also Aladdin Houses ("Sold by the Golden Rule"). Plenty of Craftsman; no Prairie. Sears No. 181, from the 1913 catalog, is the only near miss, with its slightly greater roof overhang and cladding change at the second-floor sill line. But the detailing is generic American, with turned porch posts, etc . . .

You might need this. http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/0-271-01943-3.html

$89.57 at Amazon.

SDR

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

Gordon Van Tine had this Model 2617:

And here's a house near me in Hillcrest, Little Rock, AR, which looks like a Prairie plan that the builder tried to disguise as a Mission:

(I couldn't get a better angle from Google Maps Street View due to the trees.)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Weird -- I couldn't duplicate your first Google shot, but was able to get this:

Note the discrepancy of addresses . . . !

Where did the Model 2617 show up ? Did it have a manufacturer ?

SDR

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

SDR wrote:

Where did the Model 2617 show up ? Did it have a manufacturer ?
It's from Gordon Van Tine, they were a supplier of kit houses.

http://www.gordonvantine.com/

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. The site says the 2617 was offered "briefly" in 1917-18 . . .

The catalog cover graphics from the 'teens and 'twenties show the influence on commercial illustrators of the fine art of the previous decades (see Japanese prints threads).

SDR

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

SDR wrote:Thanks. The site says the 2617 was offered "briefly" in 1917-18 . . .
It seems to be a pretty direct crib of the Walser/Barton plan.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond