Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Jack Hillmer's 1950 Munger House
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Jack Hillmer's 1950 Munger House Reply with quote

Jack Hillmer's Munger house is featured on pp. 124-131 of the November 2014 issue of Dwell Magazine. It was perfectly restored....have a bib ready, you will drool.
I'll try to scan and send to SDR for posting.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hillmer used this combination of block and wood more than once. These are said to be custom "cinder block." They are two or 2 1/2 feet long ? One
wonders how the wood is used; is there a hidden course of, say, 1 1/4" paver material between each course of block, recessed to allow the insertion of the
redwood ?

The result is handsome -- and would benefit the homemaker who wished to hang pictures !

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this house. Thanks for posting.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ceiling has been redone, the results aren't too appealing (p 127). But we get a good look at Mr Hillmer's typical window wall, with its apparent
framelessness all the way around. The posts are rabbeted to receive glass, and the glazing strip completes the rectangular profile of the member.

Too bad the article doesn't show us the fireplace; I would like to see how Hillmer handles that element.

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics of Hillmer's Munger house here:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/36711/1111-house

DavidC posted a link to a pre-restoration RE agent's video here:

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?p=36395&sid=8f2988e380e9836b4bf4d33eb7dabb24

Fireplace is barely visible at about 1:40-1:43.

Last edited by DRN on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FHB article states that the new owners installed thermal night curtains on all the large glass windows. I could see no sign of that in the photos.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

". . . and replaced the millwork for a reductive, contemporary look." They could have done worse than to replicate exactly (if necessary) Hillmer's original
cabinetry; no one produced millwork more minimalist than he ! If the touch latch had not already existed he would have invented it, I believe.

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a number of midcentury houses that did away with hallways altogether, creating the situaton where one either needs to walk directly through another adjacent bedroom, or walk outside as in a roadside motel. The plan utilizes every square inch, but how does one have privacy and look at the view at the same time from the first two bedrooms? Only the people sleeping in the end bedroom would remotely have any privacy. It sounds like they solved the problem of having to walk through the shower(!), but resigned themselves to the row of glass bedrooms visible to all passerbys?
Imagine sleeping in the last bedroom and craving a midnight snack. You would either walk through two other bedrooms, or outside.

I seem to remember that John Lautner's own Silverlake residence had this sort of plan:
https://www.laconservancy.org/locations/lautner-house

I love the aesthetic, detailing and simplicity of this house, a real California house, harkening back to the earliest adobe ranch houses.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the story about the owner having requested the walk-through showers -- because he was used to life on a submarine -- is just that: a story,
of the kind that uninformed docents like to tell. Isn't it more likely that Hillmer was providing multiple use of the showers (as others have done -- see Jones's
X-100 house) and that he intended for the users of the house to walk outside to the bedrooms ? Hillmer came from Texas, by way of Southern California . . .

Note that the first bedroom is labeled "Office" on the plan -- and that there are only three passages through the window wall. Hillmer was a Purist of the first
order, though with poetic tendencies (as in the subtly modulated degree of roof overhang, also visible on the plan). He chose a very direct way to eliminate
wasteful corridor footage. He also made it difficult for a guest to find a toilet !

(Note that the plan shown is titled Telesis 2.0, the name the new owners have given the house. Read Hillmer and Callister's history for the genesis of
the name. The plan apparently represents the minor changes made to the house. There are now interior doors between bedrooms -- but there is still
not independent access. The sink vanities vary between the two bedrooms; one is inside the bath enclosure, the other outside it. We don't know the
details of Hillmer's original layout. I assume there were three bedrooms, and that the two baths between them were identical. Closets ? Don't know . . .)

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how lateral forces were planned for or if they were. The roof bearing on the columns would appear to be vulnerable to wind.
Also would anybody venture an explanation as to how the glass was fitted? Would all the pieces have been precut or cut onsite? And just exactly what do the head, floor, and jamb details look like. Are Hillmer's drawings all at Berkely?

(No, I just checked the UCB archives and Hillmer is not listed. Callister is listed however, so I'll look at the file index to see if aI can tell anything.)

(Callister's project index file contains only one reference to Hillmer, J. for one Hall house in Kentfield.)

wonder where Hillmer's drawings are?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Koenig's iconic Case Study House #21 (1958) also requires traipsing through the master bedroom or going outside to access the children's room. The owners must have adjusted, since they only recently sold the house.
DavidC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Jack Hillmer House Gets a Makeover

David
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it owes a lot to Berger in San Anselmo.
Mod mom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious does any know what type of heating system this house would have and the type of flooring? My husband and I thought concrete flooring when we saw the Dwell article, but $22K for removing floor, adding heating system and re-pouring new floor is WAY cheaper than we are incurring.

WSJ articles says "spent about $22,000 on new electrical and heating systems, hiding pipes and wires behind walls and floors"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: