Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

American System-Built Homes... how many designs wright made?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't seen the above sheet before. Clearly marked as an ASBH drawing (original ?), it shows a layout different from other ASBH plans, I think. It's the only time I've seen Wright propose three different roof treatments for the same plan, on the same sheet. Laurie Virr has called my attention to a quartet of designs for the Oak Park Playground Association Play Houses (1926), where the same plan is given four distinct roof designs. There have been one or two other examples of designs with alternate roofs, as I recall.

The exterior treatment here favors a strong composition; the largest opening is a ceiling-high window divided into four sash, two of which light the very corner of the main space, over the (built-in ?) dining table, while their twins flood the kitchen with daylight. What principle does this demonstrate ? "I can make any exterior I choose accommodate any interior arrangement I find necessary" ? In what way does this differ from the excoriated Beaux Arts practice, where exterior symmetry is sometimes forced upon a variety of (asymmetrical) interior spaces ?

To be fair, Mr Wright showed an early and persistent wizardry with interior planning, fitting any number of private spaces into a second level carefully composed as to fenestration and exterior modeling. There are many instances, as here, of a single window group or band being intersected, inside, by a partition.

SDR
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two photographs are of 1735 S. Layton, at the corner of S. Layton and W. Burnham. Frank Lloyd Wright Wisconsin purchased the house a couple of years ago. We look forward to eventually restoring it (including removal of the stone facade). 2714 S. Burnham, next door, has been restored as a house museum. We have just finished extensive restoration of the duplex at the end of the block, 2732-34 W. Burnham St. We also own a duplex in the middle of the block. It is rental property for now. We joke that we own the only aluminum sided Wright home.

The Monolith Homes were 18 proposed "workers' cottages" in Racine commissioned by Thomas P. Hardy (of the Hardy House) in 1919. There are identical perspective drawings in the Wright and Schindler archives. If you enlarge the latter you will se Wright's name has been erased. That drawing is in my "Wright in Racine" book.

Mark Hertzberg
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Mark -- which photos are you referring to ? It's great to have that information . . .

SDR
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two photos you posted Sunday evening with the drawings.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ?

http://webapps.cityofchicago.org/landmarksweb/web/landmarkdetails.htm?lanId=1241
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. You have a post on the first page of this discussion with two photos of 1735 S. Layton and many drawings. That posting.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah -- yes. Sun Jul 26, 2009. Are there any houses on that block that aren't Wright designs ?

SDR
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, all are Wright's. Four duplexes (dupli?), one of which was converted into a single family home by the Arenas maybe 20 years ago, and the two single family homes.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that Mr Wright would have pictured those four duplexes matching in every way, even to paint. Maybe not -- but if so, what are the chances that this vision could become reality some day ?

It would involve convincing two owners to go along. Maybe an option would be to suggest a choice of palettes, selected from among the colors Wright was using at the time. After the independent owners had made their choices, the remaining two properties could be painted to match, or to harmonize, from among the selection. Two colors per house seems to be the recipe . . . ?

SDR

dupli ? I like it -- but, sadly, no: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/duplexes
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In "A Testament" on page 122 is a drawing of a pair of duplecies (?), an elaboration of the Munkwitz design, with the space between connecting them and serving as an entryway. Below that drawing are plans of the Richards Duplex, which suggests that he meant to do the same sort of treatment for them. As built, however, both Munkwitz and Richards are too close to allow any sort of elaborate interstitial connection. But it strongly implies that the finishes on all of the buildings should be the same.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The page noted by Mr Grant:

Wouldn't it be wonderful to know that this illustration was in the hand of Mr Wright himself ? The foliage seems to be blowing in the wind, most winsomely . . .

SDR
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roof-top garden reminiscent of Robie Lamp and WBG?

Also Bow-Ties in the leaded glass like WBG used on the Blythe House.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: