Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Japan/Wright/John Randal Mcdonald

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Japan/Wright/John Randal Mcdonald Reply with quote

There is an interesting program with various areas of interest, this Saturday October 14 in Milwaukee, sponsored by Wright in Wisconsin:

www.wrightinwisconsin.org

Please Join Us For This Very Special Presentation:

John Randal McDonald - Harmony in Architecture

Saturday, October 14, 2006

University of Milwaukee

School of Architecture & Urban Planning

2131 East Hartford Avenue, Room 110

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53211

8:00 - 8:50 Breakfast refreshments served

Visit UWM/Sarup exhibit, The Anatomy of

Japanese Wood Structures

located in the Commons Area

9:00 - 9:15 Welcome and introductions

9:15 - 10:30 John Roush, President of Geronimo Promotions,

Friend and client of John Randal McDonald

Talk on the life and architecture of

John Randal McDonald

Also to include a video interview with

McDonald

10:30 - 11:00 Travel to Okami Uchi or House of the Wolves,

Bayside, Wisconsin

11:00 - 12:00 Tour and talk on the architecture and the

restoration of this McDonald designed home

$15.00 per person at the UWM lecture, to support Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's lovely. Wish I could be there -- hope you and yours enjoy it. Take pictures. . .!

Here's a thread from another architecture-conscious site; althought the first link on the page is no longer active, there are other interesting bits of McDonald, including a statement by a former McDonald associate who gives a quick outline of the architect's career.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2293#2293

SDR
Wes Barwick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: McDonald home on Durand Reply with quote

Mark,

What is the status of the McDonald home on Durand across from Farm & Fleet? It looks like it is being moved, have you heard to where? Just curious. Thanks.

Wes
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner had contacted me and said he was dismantling it because the land has been bought by a developer. The owner of the house on Russet is trying to hook up with him to buy some of the parts of the house for his restoration.

Mark
Randolph C. Henning

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: John Randal McDonald Reply with quote

For those interested, JRM has a web site - http://www.pwp2.com/jrm/ It would be nice if someone could/would update and improve the site and create a retrospective on his life work. JRM was bigger than life and his passion and energy for architecture was huge. I'll never forget attending a relatively conservative (boardering on boring) and staid AIA dinner function in Fort Lauderdale and in came JRM (late, but always one for making an entrance). He sat with me and before long he had everyone at our table singing the Yale fight song. What a time! Even though I grew up in the Fort Lauderdale area, interestingly, I first became aware of JRM while I was a graduate student in the School of Architecture & Urban Planning at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. A UW-M student organized an exhibit of his Architecture (1978/79). He attended the opening. That was when I first met him. I still have, thankfully, the signed catalogue from that show. After my graduation in 1980 and my return to Fort Lauderdale I earnestly sought out his work and, I guess, became a JRM groupie. He always welcomed me and enjoyed discussing and showing me his work, especially the current projects. His excitement for the potentials of each opportunity was constant.
Wes Barwick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: McDonald home on Durand Reply with quote

Mark,

So then the owner has no plans of reconstructing elsewhere? That would be a shame.

Wes
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is apparently way past the 'miracle' stage. The developer was working on the project for three years. The last owner bought the house as investment property and never lived in it (he rented it out). He was going to let another McDonald home owner get some of the furnishings, until he found asbestos in the house. I photographed it a week ago (www.wrightinracine.com) and it has deteriorated badly. The developer said it would be demolished within two weeks.

Mark Hertzberg
matthews

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link for a beautiful JRM house in Princeton for sale...if you got the $$$$$$$$$.

http://www.kurfiss.com/4748571
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice house, but if you think $2,495,000 is pricey (or any of the houses on this site, for that matter), Johnny Carson's Malibu house, designed by Ed Niles, is currently on the market for $42,000,000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: