Frank Lego Wright?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jrdet10

Frank Lego Wright?

Post by jrdet10 »

See where Lego is retiring its $199 Robie House. Good riddance. What a perversion of Wright's work. If young Wright had had Legos instead of Froebel blocks, he'd have gone on to designing American Foursquares and International Style monoliths. Snap 'em into place, following the instructions, of course, and then Robie, Fallingwater, Guggenheim and the Imperial Hotel are there to ... uh ... stare at, with no clue as to how Wright was employing his genius inside.
"Well, there you are!"

SDR

Post by SDR »

Heh-heh. Let's start a movement to make Lego "architecture" a thing of ill repute. I mean, have you seen their Guggenheim ?

http://www.maclinstudio.com/learfrllwrg ... fgodswYACw

SDR

egads

Post by egads »

Mine is still in the box. Seemed like the perfect gift for me right? Ah no.

hypnoraygun

Post by hypnoraygun »

Egads, send it my way!

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm dreaming of a big bonfire . . .

SDR

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

See it as a toy to get young kids interested in architecture and exposed to Wright's greatness. My son was older when this series came out but his years of building with legos (although he'd make the set once then use the blocks for his own creations) solidified his desire to study architecture. He went from legos to sketch-up and in middle school attempted to re-create Fallingwater on Sketch-Up.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I mean, have you seen their Guggenheim ?
Only in the LEGO representation could the Gwathmey-Siegel addition look better than original building. The lesson to be learned is one of the nature of materials: hard, rectilinear plastic bricks based on an orthogonal grid don't do curves and spirals very well.

Now, maybe if there was a building set made to allow the user to make forms, using thin steel wire or screen in the forms for reinforcement and then pour plaster-of-Paris.....

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Have you seen their abysmal sets for the Disney move The Lone Ranger? I mean, seriously. There is no way you can use squared blocks to emulate the human form, nor do they capture the humorous emotion of Johnny Depp as Tonto. I don't see how any child could believe that a set of Legos could serve as a substitute for a real or imaginary movie star (or his character).

And don't get me started on their Pirates series.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Lego's are fun, but I'll take a nice scale model any day.

Matt
www.LandmarkModel.com

jrdet10

Post by jrdet10 »

mod mom, I don't object to Legos per se; my boys had them but they were basic -- no Star Wars or any of the other 'branded' sets. So they made crooked pyramids and tilting spires and cubes with clinker-brick-like 'imperfections.' All with their own little heads and hands. 'The perfect is the enemy of the good.'
"Well, there you are!"

SDR

Post by SDR »

I can't imagine a finer toy for kids of literally any age, than a Lego-style block set made of, say, wood -- with pieces two or three times the size of the plastic ones. Gravity alone should be the glue; the toy immediately illustrates, to the hands and the eyes, some basic laws of physics, and thus of building. Add beams, and panels (transparent and opaque) and you have the whole ?

Lego might be the 20-century version of the (let's pretend) 19th-century Lincoln Logs . . . ?

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

What's the 21st Century equivalent? Virtual Lincoln Logs?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well -- I was thinking of architectural/techtonic content. It's been a long time since log construction was widespread, and almost as long since blockwork was new. So -- maybe an all-glass form -- assuming we're still taking about physical models. Yes, "model making" has taken on a new definition, hasn't it . . .

I, for one, am far from through with the twentieth century !

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Roderick Grant wrote:What's the 21st Century equivalent? Virtual Lincoln Logs?
The 21st Century equivalent would have to be digital and not physical: Google SketchUp.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

egads

Post by egads »

And then 3D printing if you want a physical model.