Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

The More Things Change...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, FLW did on occasion pass off an unbuilt design for one client onto a later client, the most famous being Guthrie to Baker. However, Laurent had a very specific requirement: Kenneth Laurent was in a wheelchair, and the house had to address that concern. Comparison of his floor plan to others of the type readily show this modification. Clearly FLW created the Laurent House from scratch. How long it took him, who know? Apparently only the client's claim is available, so why not accept it? FLW was a super draftsman all the way back to his days with Adler & Sullivan. It may stretch credulity to claim he did everything in two hours, but since there is no conflicting evidence, I'll buy it. As to lettering, I suspect FLW did not do much of his own lettering no matter how much he had to do with the design. There were always many apprentices hovering about him, and it's very likely he had one of them write the labels. The slanted "S" has been around for most of the 20th Century, used by many architects. Lloyd's version seems to be the most extreme.
Palli Davis Holubar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten to the actual Weltzheimer plans yet but I can already see a variety of Ss. Don't start investigations with conclusions. Exploration is joyful play not prescriptive exercise. Llyold Wright's S is elongated and extremly tilted like Roderick grant says, the drawing style is decisive. He probably did his own lettering but we should find more plans to clarify this. Templates were used as drawing aids for lettering, too, not just grand pianos and appliances. but how the template is placed can be a individual indicator. However, emulating the style of FLW certainly comes into play. Clients ideally wanted the work of the teacher, not the Taliesin Usonian assignment exercise.

With proper documentation, digital photos can be exchanged for further study. I look forward to sharing images.

By the way, apologies for the repeat posts but not my doing. I went home last night assuming my paragraph had not gone through (let alone multipied) because a marker read "detecting bug".
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[answering allwrightythen] But a Wright structure isn't just any nice three-bedroom house. . . :D

I remain dubious that any architect could produce a buildable set of working drawings in two hours. But. . .never mind -- I admire you too much to want to argue.

I would like to pursue the lettering issue, as it has been a lifelong point of interest for me. Perhaps I will begin collecting images gleaned from whatever sources I have at hand. It is certainly true that the draftsman's hand is particularly evident in his lettering. The S's in the example surely are the most extremely "streamlined" I've seen. . .

It is such a pleasure to have colleagues like you gentlemen, to discuss these matters with !

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: