1949 Taliesin Origami Chair - Dimensions? Sketches? Drawing?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
dtc

Post by dtc »

A general agreement? I know you are new to this chat room, but you must be kidding.

That question would be like asking this group which plan would be Wright's best.
Some would say his L plans, others would favor his square module plans,
and others might prefer 60/120 degree module plans.
As for his folded plywood easy chair you will not find two alike. The designs change and vary, along with the skill of the craftsman building them.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'd be interested to know if and where the poster has found plans to purchase. A complete list of published Origami Chair plans (if any) would be vital, at this point, to continue the discussion. As in any scholarly (or culinary) pursuit, we want all to be working from the same list of ingredients !

Eric, have you seen plans for sale ?

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

(the chairs look great, nice work)

dtc

Post by dtc »

SDR, perhaps you are up to doing a study on the folded plywood chairs that were designed pre 1959?
Or our dear friend and colleague Palli might like to tackle this subject ?

To name a few original clients that had the chairs built from the get go: Rubins, Sturges, Shavins.

Eric James

Post by Eric James »

Hi Again...

No, I was not kidding. I realize I'm brand new to this "discussion" and am trying to board a train that has already left the station. Nevertheless, I've tackled over twenty pieces of furniture over the last three years, including obscure Gustav Stickley, Limbert and Onondoga chairs, library tables, tabourets, servers, etc. - plus two FLW chairs - using only a Festool, a chisel and a palm sander. So I feel ready to challenge myself on this complicated piece. I like the simplicity (and seemingly relative "ease" of the Korman version), but can't locate him for plans. Next on my list would be to order the plans from Fitzwilliam, and then... have at it. Thanks.

dtc

Post by dtc »

Not to discourage you but the" Mission" furniture you sight is relatively straight forward. Mortice and tenon joints and many 90 degree angles.

As simple as the plywood (origami) chair looks, most carpenters I know need to create a number of mock-ups to build it correctly.
So have a go at it... document it...& post some pics. We would love to see it.

J.Meyers

Easy Chair

Post by J.Meyers »

Eric, we recently purchased the McCartney House. The owner's built 60% of the listed furniture. They never executed the chairs. Margo has searched Archives for the missing Chair that was called out on several of the plan sheets for the McCartney house. Would love to build two for McCartney someday.
McCartney - Meyers

SDR

Post by SDR »

That would be "cite," I think. What kind of Festool do you have, Eric ? They make a whole line of woodworking devices. Even (especially ?) as a beginner I wouldn't think of proceeding without the use of a table saw -- and a jointer and planer, for furniture like the Stickley pieces. I don't know whether to congratulate you or cluck my tongue . . . !

The bevel cuts in plywood, required for the Origami Chair, almost scream for a horizontal (sliding) panel saw with tilt blade. But I suppose most of them have been built without that "luxury."

So, someone called Fitzwilliam has plans for the Origami ? Can you be specific ? Any others out there ?

It sounds like you'd be willing and able to make a Hepplewhite breakfront with your bare teeth, if you took a mind to do so -- so have at it, by all means. I'm sure you've perused the Taliesin drawings published earlier in this thread. I absolutely agree that at least one mock-up, to determine cut angles and (more importantly, perhaps) to judge the comfort of the selected dimensions, before proceeding with the final chair, is an indispensable step -- if a successful outcome is the goal.

SDR

Eric James

Post by Eric James »

Thanks dtc! I will build at least one mock-up, for sure. Re: my reference to Korman... does he have plans? I have no idea how to reach him...?

dtc

Post by dtc »

Who is Korman?
I'm not familiar with that name.

Eric James

Post by Eric James »

Korman is Korman Woodworks, as seen about halfway through Page 1 of this discussion (note the photo of the chair with the purple upholstery). I've tried every which way to reach him/them - to see if plans are available for the chair in that photo. No luck. Maybe I'm missing something...

sjnorris

Post by sjnorris »

Korman Woodworks is no longer in business . The chair with the Purple upholstery is the JOHN HOWE version and plans are available from the The Northwest Architectural Archives 612-625-3550 ask for Barbara Bezat she should be able to help .

Eric James

Post by Eric James »

Thanks!

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Geoffrey Fitzwilliam, Designer/Craftsman/Artist
http://www.fitzwilliam.com

at one time he sold plans for his version of the Origami Chair, but it seems like the FLW Fdn has persuaded him to desist.

You can contact him directly at: geoffrey@fitzwilliam.com
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Eric James

Post by Eric James »

Thank You. Yes, I have been in touch with Geoffrey, just haven't had the time to tackle this project. I think Geoffrey is the guy to talk to...

Eric