K.C. DeRhodes House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

K.C. DeRhodes House

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Does anyone know and have personal contact with the owner of the K.C. DeRhodes House? If so, please drop me an email (see below). Thanks
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

John

DeRhodes

Post by John »

I was led to believe that this house was being rehabed and that the owner was known to Chatters.

If anything came of Paul's query, is it possible that the interior could be included in the Tour at the Annual Meeting?

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

My original query was prompted by the fact the the FLWBC could not get a response from the current owners concerning being included in the Post Conference Tour.

I have had no responses by anyone who actually knows the owners.

The last time I was by there, about two years ago, it was obvious that the current owners had made significant progress in restoring the exterior.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The last owner I know of (who rebuilt the living room fireplace with Roman bricks salvaged from the Oak Park Studio) was a professor at Notre Dame. I believe he became overwhelmed by the cost of restoration, and has not had any connection with the 'community' for many years ... assuming it's the same person who still owns the house.

John

DeRhodes

Post by John »

I thought I remembered a recent conversation here where someone was relating information about the recent exterior renovations.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Tom

Post by Tom »

Three exterior shots on entry sequence at DeRhodes
Go left:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54449844@ ... ed-public/

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks !

With your indulgence:

Image . . . Image

Image . . . Image

SDR

Post by SDR »

The handsome landscape improvement seen in Tom's photo seems to reflect, with modification, what's seen on the Wasmuth site plan drawing.

Or is that cement-curbed planting bed original to the house ?

The plan of the house reminds one of the Larking Administration Building plan, with its symmetrical entry module centered on the cross axis of the main volume.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks for all the illustrations.
Love the comparison with Larkin - it's spot on.

Fresh from 'Wrightscapes' I know that the entry sequence from the street curb to front door occurs at Bradley (1901) in Kankakee:
From the curb there is a drive for the "carriage" which parallels a walk for people
and the two are separated by a shallow raised planted bed.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Would love to see interior shots of the main level.
Curious about the natural light there.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Walser, Barton and DeRhodes have a lot in common.
Christine and I did a drive-by/walk-by of DeRhodes in early May on the way to Des Moines. The restoration of the terrace parapets from some years ago seems to be having moisture issues...it looks as if water is getting under the cap and seeping between the stucco and its substrate (masonry?, frame and lath?).

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The curbed planting area was intact back in the days when the place was a club house, The Avalon Something-or-other, before the Millers bought it in 1978, so it was obviously included in the original construction.

When I visited Mossberg in '85, DeRhodes was not accessible. I believe the interior of the main level, at least, was completed, but I have never seen a photo of it, nor met anyone who has been inside.

Of the type, Horner (demolished) was especially interesting. A very modest house, it was an example of affordable architecture of merit that FLW championed all his career.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Horner (Chicago, 1908; demolished 1952):

b/w plans © W A STorrer

(Photographer, date unknown)

© 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, except as noted

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Nice, I have never seen photos of this house.

The front elevation is reminiscent of Mrs. Thomas Gale House (1909).