Wright's daily ritual

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Wright's daily ritual

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

It isn't the hour that's important, I think -- it's the fact of working after the mind has been "reset" (and the soul reconnected ?) during sleep. Of course, an empty and silent house would be a boon, as well, to concentrated work.

We've probably all had the experience of coming to a conclusion, or having fresh insight, upon awakening -- or during that half-awake state ?

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I was at my desk at Paramount by 5:30 every morning so I could get the worst of my work done before the rest of the workers started drifting in from 9 to 11. (Ultimate flex hours helped a lot; movie studios never really shut down for the night.) The principal advantage was the quiet and lack of interruptions. Sometimes this backfired when the coffee machine was on the fritz and I had to wait for the commissary to open at 7, but by and large it was a great advantage. I don't know that it had anything to do with the quality of my work, however, since it lacked creativity.

I can sit at my drafting table at any hour of the (retired) day and do what I do. The unstructured day makes reserving time for any particular activity unnecessary. Creativity has nothing specifically to do with the hour of the day.

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

Somewhere I read of Wright waking up very early with a new idea or solution, and would immediately summon Jack Howe to his drafting board. They would have a scheme on paper before breakfast.

I believe it likely, having had solutions come clearly only during the first few minutes after waking up. Sometimes good ideas, not always. After that it gets lost in the events of the day and it's hard to think of anything original, just how its always been done.

doug k