Lois Davidson Gottlieb--Taliesin Apprentice

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Education Professor

Lois Davidson Gottlieb--Taliesin Apprentice

Post by Education Professor »

Building upon the previous thread about the work of Lois Davidson Gottlieb, http://www.savewright.org/wright_chat/v ... c561b68bf4:

I recently purchased an interesting book by Ms. Gottlieb titled "Environment and Design in Housing" which was published in 1965. One section of the book (pp. 216-229) is devoted to an interesting "weekend house" that she designed for a gentleman in California. Does anyone know the name of this gentleman or project? I tried unsuccessfully to scan the photos of this design for posting.

In addition, an interesting design by Ms. Gottlieb and Jane Duncombe is illustrated on pg. 118.

It seems that Ms. Gottlieb was able to successfully adapt Mr. Wright's design principles into her own style. Has she retired from the profession?

EP
Last edited by Education Professor on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

The little square house on the hill? Lovely isn't it. I would like to know if it still exists too. She is still living, was in SF. Not sure if she still is.
KevinW

Education Professor

Lovely indeed, Kevin! I wish I could scan and post the photos....I'll try again.

EP

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I think I found her phone number, I'll see what I can find out.
KevinW

Education Professor

Many thanks, Kevin!

EP

Education Professor

Below are some photos I've made of the drawings and photos of the "weekend house" from Ms. Gottlieb's book. I apologize for the relatively poor quality of the "photos of the photos"...I should have asked our teenage daughter to complete this project as she is much more tech savvy:)

EP

Idea for Design Plan--pg. 217

Floor Plan--pg. 218

Photo 1--pg. 221 (by Morley Baer)

Photo 2--pg. 223 (by Morley Baer)

Photo 3--pg. 224 (by Morley Baer)

Photo 4--pg. 225 (by Morley Baer)

Photo 5--pg. 227 (by Morley Baer)

Photo 6--pg. 229 (by Morley Baer)

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I left a message on what I am hoping is her answering machine.
KevinW

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

What a lovely structure! Thanks for posting these.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This is a very handsome house of a type directly related to FLW's Boomer House, but much simpler.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Weekend House implies an over night stay.

Where is the bedroom?

DRN

Post by DRN »

Boomer meets Seth Peterson, rendered with concrete block...a great design to say the least.

Paul:
A sleeping cove is to the left corner of the plan, it is the anteroom to the bath

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

DRN,
I see a desk in that location in the photos.

Here is the book for purchase:
http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork ... ting*title
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DRN

Post by DRN »

I think the shelf over the bench next to the fireplace is obscuring the corner bed beyond, which appears to have a series of wall shelves above it. Another option may be that this a "Seinfeld" George Costanza desk with a "sleeping compartment".

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

The bed is most likely a twin bed on a frame with castors so it can roll under the desk and shelving. There is a lot of Architecture packed into 576 sf.
KevinW

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep, Boomer Cottage for sure, nice association.