Malcolm Wells' Ellis House, Cherry Hill, NJ: Forclosure Sale

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

Post by DRN »

The walls throughout the house are a rough sand finish plaster over drywall, or stucco over CMU. All surfaces are painted. The living room walls to either side of the fireplace are stucco and appear to have been painted an off white color with a rust color accent applied with a lightly dragged sponge.

The floors in the living spaces of the house are carpeted, or waxed exposed aggregate concrete with grid insets of wood. Bath floors are 1x1 tile that matches the vanities.

pgharchfan

Post by pgharchfan »

I recently walked around Wells' complex for the RCA Company in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. It is now a multi-tenant office complex. It's very Wrightian in it's long horizontal lines.

It's pictured here. http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/15031169 ... ardens-FL/

DRN

Post by DRN »

While Googling, I found this thread and thought I should update it. I’m very glad to share that Mac’s Ellis house was bought by a preservation minded owner several years ago. A lot of deferred maintenance has been addressed and the house is looking better than it has in more than a decade.

I should also note Mac’s Hunt house also in Cherry Hill was purchased by an architect, and it too is in good hands.

SDR

Post by SDR »

DRN

Post by DRN »

No. The Hunt Tract noted in the RE listing was a subdivision in which Wells designed his own house, the Ellis house, three other houses (of which the house for sale is one), a house addition, and the community swim club (now mostly demolished). Louis Kahn’s Clever house is also in the Hunt Tract.
The house for sale has been altered considerably from Wells’ original; little of his hand is still evident.

The Hunt house (no relation) is 5 miles away in a different subdivision, situated in a ravine filled with holly trees.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Was it published, or photographed ?

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

To my knowledge it hasn’t.
Wells’ built project list, on file at the Cherry Hill Historical Commission archive has a notation for the Hunt house in Wells’ hand: “oversized birdhouse modern�. The house, despite Wells’ characteristic self deprecating humor, is a treehouse-like wood framed structure with steeply pitched roofs that bridges a small heavily wooded ravine. The house is difficult to photograph from public ways due to Mac’s preservation of the surrounding understory holly trees. I linked realtor photos to a now unfindable Chat thread some years ago.

I visited the house once, but photography was not permitted. Despite a Euro kitchen remodel, the house is otherwise unmolested, well composed, and fun.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

"It Looks Traditional - But Is It?" That's the title of an article by Curtis Besinger in the October 1962 issue of HB (184-193) about the cover house designed by Wells for his own family. I remembered that issue, and was delighted to find a copy in a used book store 40 years later. Beautiful house.