New Building To Be Built At Johnson Wax Campus In Racine

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Wrightgeek

New Building To Be Built At Johnson Wax Campus In Racine

Post by Wrightgeek »

Below is a link to a news release containing several announcements related to the SC Johnson company, most notable to readers of this board being the start of construction in 2007 of a new building at the company's headquarters in Racine.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainment ... 006-1.html

JimM

Post by JimM »

Too bad they are going for the big mega corporate spin on architecture, rather than looking for an individual to bring a unique perspective to their tradition, as when Wright was commissioned.

Whatever Foster provides, we probably will have seen it before. The "next to" (the Wright masterpiece) part of Foster's comment should alarm every one.

At least they do not feel beholden to get ersatz Frank.

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Do not fret about the 'next to' the landmark Administration Building and the Research Tower.

Keep two things in mind. One is that the family does not make aesthetic decisions lightly.

Second, the Johnson campus is big. The spot that I understand has been selected for this building will not intrude on Wright's buildings (if you remember the Mobil gas station at 14th and Racine streets, which has now been demolished, I believe that is the spot). The company's 'Rondelle' pavilion from the 64-65 New York World's Fair is on the campus, as well, as the company's Guest Relations center. I do not know if the Rondelle was controversial when it was adapted to the site by Taliesin Associated Architects or not, but I do not get a sense that visitors to the campus object to its proximity to the Wright buildings.

I have photographed the replica of the Carnauba plane many times, and I look forward to the new display.

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg