Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Herbert S. Newman and Partners try to design a FLW inspired

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Herbert S. Newman and Partners try to design a FLW inspired Reply with quote

Thought this was interesting.........

http://www.hsnparch.com/projects/kramer/kramer1.html

The owners admire the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, so we attempted to make a house where Frank Lloyd Wright leaves the Prairie and settles in New England. The plan and ordering principles of the house are informed by the ideas of Wright and Louis Kahn.

Combining Wrightean themes with traditional New England architecture, this long rambling wood house clings to the Mianus riverbank only 25 feet away. Facing the water along a north-south route, it repeats horizontal lines, broad shaded overhangs and a heavy, natural stone foundation. The east elevation faces distant houses, offering New England village neighborliness while maintaining privacy and order.

Entering from a walkway under the trees east of the house, one is guided directly onto the east-west path facing a small window seat belvedere, with a splendid river view. The principal path runs parallel to the river and is washed by natural light from multi-shaped windows and gabled skylights. Spaces of differing size and height unfold to the north and south.

The master bedroom, dining and living rooms, two studies, and primary outer terrace all are octagonal forms. The building materials are natural, with similar colors inside and out. Exterior cedar planking is complemented by red oak in the interior. Fireplaces and other elements are built of stone from the property.
allwrightythen1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lord is this atrocious! There apparently was a reason Wright didn't leave the Prairie and settle in New England.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see it. I don't see Frank Lloyd Wright. I don't see Royal Berry Wills. Just a lot of expensive material tortured into a huge, grotesque mess that bears no resemblance to anything any good architect of the 20th Century had to offer. Some of the other designs by this firm, such as Winnick and Hallingby, look orderly and interesting, but not Kramer. (That isn't Cosmo Kramer, is it?)
KevinW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: UGHHH Reply with quote

Nearly every bad modern architectural cliche all in one building. Its so ugly, it makes my teeth hurt!
JRMarks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: OH PLEASE Reply with quote

another sin associated with the phrase"inspired by FLW"
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this, from three photos and no drawings ?

Perhaps if this were divorced from any mention of Mr Wright's name, we might give it a pass (while judging from just three photos and no plan. . .) on the merits. . .?

Of course, it completely loses credibility when the names Wright and Kahn are invoked. These lies are best told to ourselves (and our clients) in private. . .?

Everyone who knows me knows I am indebted to Wright as a designer -- but I would never burden anyone but myself with credit or blame for my own work.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: