Wausau Tour

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jrdet10

Wausau Tour

Post by jrdet10 »

Wright in Wisconsin's 2006 tour, Prairie in the Pinery, was worthwhile if not quite jaw-dropping.

Featured were FLW's Manson and Duey Wright houses, two others by Maher and some modern Prairie interpretations in Wausau, an impossibly tidy little burg. A bonus was the open house held Sunday in Two Rivers at the Schwartz House, which I found more engaging than the aforementioned Wausau residences.

Other than taking you past an ice cream stand that sells ridiculously large portions of soft-serve, traveling 30 miles south of Wausau to try to see the Iber House in Plover isn't worth it. It's set back 250 feet off a private road and is surrounded by a chain-link fence topped with barbed wire (I am not making this up).

Nice job of stewardship, jerk.

Next year's W in W tour is at Lake Geneva. Avast, me hearties, thar lies the Fred Jones House off the starboard bow! Haarrrgghh!
"Well, there you are!"

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Wrong lake. Jones is on Delevan. Geneva is the site of the lost Lake Geneva Inn. If it is truly Delevan, that would be a tour worth crossing the country for.

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

I'm glad the poster liked this year's tour, and is looking forward to next year's tour. Visit us at http://www.wrightinwisconsin.org/ to read more about the organization. You might be especially interested in our Burnham Street project, which you can read about on the web site and in the new issue of the Conservancy's newsletter. Better yet, join us (as well as being a member of the Conservancy) and get our informative newsletter.

Mark Hertzberg

Board member, Wright in Wisconsin
Mark Hertzberg

Eric Saed
Location: Minne-sO-tah Norwegian living in exile in Lubbock, Texas

Re: Wausau Tour

Post by Eric Saed »

jrdet10 wrote:Wright in Wisconsin's 2006 tour, Prairie in the Pinery, was worthwhile if not quite jaw-dropping....and some modern Prairie interpretations in Wausau

I couldn't agree more. I had set myself up not to like the Sobek house based on the little picture in the guide, thinking it was just going to be another run-of-the-mill NeoPrairie. But, it was astounding.

Even more so, I think Brian Letarski's work is incredible- he just seems to "get it". We had the opportunity to drive by 4 other houses of his, and were impressed. His understanding of Wrightian principles seems to be better than a lot of Taliesinites have.

jrdet10

all those lakes ...

Post by jrdet10 »

[Wrong lake. Jones is on Delevan. Geneva is the site of the lost Lake Geneva Inn. If it is truly Delevan, that would be a tour worth crossing the country for.]

Thanks for the catch, as responsible reporters say to me when I make a correction to their copy. I was thinking of the 2001 W-in-W doings known informally as the Lake Geneva tour. Lake Delavan or bust!
"Well, there you are!"