Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wausau Tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrdet10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Wausau Tour Reply with quote

Wright in Wisconsin's 2006 tour, Prairie in the Pinery, was worthwhile if not quite jaw-dropping.

Featured were FLW's Manson and Duey Wright houses, two others by Maher and some modern Prairie interpretations in Wausau, an impossibly tidy little burg. A bonus was the open house held Sunday in Two Rivers at the Schwartz House, which I found more engaging than the aforementioned Wausau residences.

Other than taking you past an ice cream stand that sells ridiculously large portions of soft-serve, traveling 30 miles south of Wausau to try to see the Iber House in Plover isn't worth it. It's set back 250 feet off a private road and is surrounded by a chain-link fence topped with barbed wire (I am not making this up).

Nice job of stewardship, jerk.

Next year's W in W tour is at Lake Geneva. Avast, me hearties, thar lies the Fred Jones House off the starboard bow! Haarrrgghh!

Quote:

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong lake. Jones is on Delevan. Geneva is the site of the lost Lake Geneva Inn. If it is truly Delevan, that would be a tour worth crossing the country for.
Mark Hertzberg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the poster liked this year's tour, and is looking forward to next year's tour. Visit us at http://www.wrightinwisconsin.org/ to read more about the organization. You might be especially interested in our Burnham Street project, which you can read about on the web site and in the new issue of the Conservancy's newsletter. Better yet, join us (as well as being a member of the Conservancy) and get our informative newsletter.

Mark Hertzberg

Board member, Wright in Wisconsin
Eric Saed

Location: Minne-sO-tah Norwegian living in exile in Lubbock, Texas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wausau Tour Reply with quote

jrdet10 wrote:
Wright in Wisconsin's 2006 tour, Prairie in the Pinery, was worthwhile if not quite jaw-dropping....and some modern Prairie interpretations in Wausau

I couldn't agree more. I had set myself up not to like the Sobek house based on the little picture in the guide, thinking it was just going to be another run-of-the-mill NeoPrairie. But, it was astounding.

Even more so, I think Brian Letarski's work is incredible- he just seems to "get it". We had the opportunity to drive by 4 other houses of his, and were impressed. His understanding of Wrightian principles seems to be better than a lot of Taliesinites have.
jrdet10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: all those lakes ... Reply with quote

[Wrong lake. Jones is on Delevan. Geneva is the site of the lost Lake Geneva Inn. If it is truly Delevan, that would be a tour worth crossing the country for.]

Thanks for the catch, as responsible reporters say to me when I make a correction to their copy. I was thinking of the 2001 W-in-W doings known informally as the Lake Geneva tour. Lake Delavan or bust!

Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: