I'm trying to recall the name of a certain FLW house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
PJJ

Post by PJJ »

I have been trying to recall the name of a certain FLW house. I thought it was in WI, but it could have been MI. As I recall, it was in danger of being demolished & some guy bought it & I believe moved it to another location to restore it. The intriguing thing is that a few years later I read that the restorer committed suicide. Does this sound familiar? If so, I'm curious as to what happened to the house.

Post by Guest »

You are correct. I don

Cherokee Red

Post by Cherokee Red »

I'm sure its not the first time someone killed themselves because of a FLLW house....

Beth R.

Post by Beth R. »

When we stayed at the Seth Peterson Cottage we learned that Mr. Peterson committed suicide as well. We are not sure if it was in the cottage or elsewhere.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

I believe that the house you are trying to think of is the Arnold Jackson residence. It was an Erdman prefab originally built in the mid 50's on the west side of Madison, near Middleton, and was then moved to Beaver Dam, Wi. a number of years ago.

I saw the exterior of the house about 18 months ago, and talked briefly to the current owner, who completed the process of reassembling and restoring the house.

You can click on the link below for a photo of the house at its current location, and a bit more information. Hope that helps.

http://www.dgunning.org/architecture/Wisc/jackson.htm

Post by Guest »

The Conservancy helped to move the Duncan house, an Erdman prefab, from Wisconsin (or maybe Illinois) to Pennsylvania. They mention it in their newsletter, but I can't find a reference to it in the 1974 edition of Storrer. They also helped move Gordon from one site to another in Oregon. I'd never heard of any suicides in connection with either. Seth Peterson killed himself around the time his house was built; the story I'd heard was a broken engagement.

Peter

PJJ

Post by PJJ »

Thanks. Looking at the picture, and hearing its history, I'm sure this is the house. The backyard elevation does look like the picture I recall seeing when reading the first story about the attempt to save the house. Under the circumstances, I suppose it's not surprising that there is no mention of what happened to the guy who started the process of saving it. The new owners have a beautiful house.