Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Legoland Florida features two FLW buildings in miniature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmcnally

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Legoland Florida features two FLW buildings in miniature Reply with quote

I visited Legoland today, on the grounds of the old Cypress Gardens in Winter Haven, Florida. Each Legoland features an area with famous cities reproduced in Lego bricks. The New York and Florida areas at Miniland in this park include two famous FLW structures: the Guggenheim museum, and the Pfieffer Chapel at Florida Southern College. As "miniatures" these are still a few feet tall - they are not as small as the Lego "architect" series models of Fallingwater, the Guggenheim, or the Robie house.

Enjoy these photos!

SDR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pfeiffer Chapel model seems a worthy object in terms of representing reasonably the original. The Guggenheim, on the other hand, is unfortunate -- though not as bad, I guess, as the kit (?) currently on sale. Who would have put all that trouble into a representation that cannot hope to be taken seriously -- because the medium is so poorly suited to the form ?

As it happens, an artist named Tibor Kárpáti has contributed drawings to The New Yorker this year, which the magazine uses as "spots" -- incidental illustration sprinkled throughout each edition. These are from the July 25, 2011 issue. If these ten drawings, each apparently composed upon an invisible checkerboard grid, are more successful as art objects than are the Lego building models (which are also composed upon a grid), perhaps a reader will be able to suggest why that is so . . .

jmcnally

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm naive; I had hoped the reaction would be "that's kinda cool."
Jeff Myers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think the models are worthy and neat
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked them both. For some reason, I'm particularly impressed with the perforated blocks at the Pfeiffer Chapel.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
DamiensGreve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Oh, McNally Reply with quote

It's quaint to see your earnestness in thinking that people on this board would not take the opportunity to insult anything that violates their strict rules of what is acceptable in the Wright-universe.

Just remember: any outside entity is evil (including this one, which hosts the chat page for free); everyone who lives or works at the two Taliesins worships Olgivanna (oh, sorry, "Olga"); and nobody but them knows what they're doing.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Damiens. To whom is your message addressed ? Perhaps its content would be clearer (to me) if that was made explicit.

It has nothing to do with Wrightiana when I decry the mistake made in the Guggenheim "model" shown above -- except perhaps insofar as Wright's dictum to "[build] in the nature of materials" is so clearly violated in that effort. The resulting defacement of what should have been faultless radiused and sloping planes may not offend every eye -- but the mistake is plain to see, and is fatally distracting, in my estimation. I'm disappointed when the (commendable) impetus to applaud everything that celebrates Mr Wright and his creations blinds us to the less-than-worthy. But -- so be it. I'm sorry to say that I expect Mr Wright's teeth would hurt him if he could see his creation so mutilated . . . !

SDR
JimM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my, my...... evil? Regardless, it's great to welcome another opinionated post!

I've had a very slow day, so why not critique a plastic toy model?..... It appears to me that persons/teams with very different levels of skill may have produced each model. The chapel is clearly superior. Although Legos are rectilinear-centric, a talented assembler can do just about anything with them. The top of the Guggenheim ramp actually works well, but as they descend, the ramps look as if they're still "under construction". The disproportionate scale of the cantilever to the rest of the model makes a huge difference in proportion. Of course, it would be nice if the name stretched along the facade, rather than just looking like a sign hanging over the entrance. As a professional effort, it could/should have been much better.

I've only been to LL in California, but from what I remember the quality of the models there was far above that of the GM model shown here. Possibly not an "in house" model?

Thanks for the post!

PS... before they think about doing the model, the Heald House is not Wright...
jmcnally

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lego blocks are toys.
egads

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to the serious brick guy. Remember this link from a while ago?

http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x995825658/Frank-Lloyd-Wright-rival-City-man-builds-LEGO-version-of-Dana-Thomas-House?photo=0

And this thread about the Unity Temple winning a prize at BrickCon:

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=5893

Those folks are serious. And I bet one of them could do a decent Guggenheim.

I did see the one at the California Park, and just looked a photos of it online. It does read better from the typical viewers distance.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of unfortunate things are done by serious people ! I'm sorry to be so adamant about this, but:

It is literally impossible to make a reasonable and respectful model of a cylinder -- much less a spiral with canted surfaces -- with rectangular
blocks -- and, I contend, it is therefore a fool's errand to try. What is the point of this exercise, unless it is a commercially-driven effort to display
"the wonders of Lego" or some such ?

If Lego blocks are modified so that such a form can be built with them, then they are no longer Legos -- are they ? (Isn't the point of these
exercises to "make anything and everything out of Legos" ?) But that would be the correct route to go, it seems to me. The special blocks, if
that's what they are, that recreate the lower portion of the FSC model, are indeed impressive.

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:

Quote:
The special blocks, if
that's what they are, that recreate the lower portion of the FSC model, are indeed impressive.

I suspect the perforated blocks of the Pfeiffer Chapel model are made with standard pieces....by staggered stacking of 5 nub, 3 nub, 5 nub, thin bricks, and a 1 nub thin brick and standard thickness 1 nub brick at either end as spacers, a perf unit can be made. Just repeat vertically to make a stack...repeat the stacks to make a wall. The difference between the Pfeiffer model and most of the others we have seen, is that it follows Wright's dictum of cognizance of the nature of the material.

I agree the Guggenheim, or any curved form is inappropriate to the Lego medium. Blocky, unit based structures seem to be more appropriate models.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: